Learning to Fiberglass (hopefully)

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
LooseChangeRacing

Learning to Fiberglass (hopefully)

Post by LooseChangeRacing »

In the next couple months I'm going to go into depth on teaching myself how to fiberglass. I'm doing the research now and it's looking pretty good. I know I'll need practice but hopefully it will work out good. Heres some questions I have...

The back left of the trunk and back right we have the small little inlets...I want to build a fiberglass enclosure that raps around these a bit. And face a Kicker CVR 12" facing about a 45 degree angle upward.

Now I'm not quite exactly sure about fiberglass.
Fiberglass is like the side of a car correct?
Is it ok to basicly make the entire enclosure out of fiberglass and use screws and such to hold it to the trunk and such. Or do I need to use plywood? Or you know whatever. I just need some helpful hints. Also...

I'm going to remove part of the trunk floor and replace it hopefully with 3/8 plexiglass so that I can place something (not sure what under there with some neons) Is that harder then what I'm thinking, cause I'm just thinking getting the plexiglass and making the screws heh.

I was thinking placing the amp down there, but I decided against it becuase of myself reading an article about bridges. And well I've decided I'm going to make a custom bridge from aluminum. Going from the rear speakers across. That way I can hide wires while accenting the amp aswell.

Any helpful links would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2385931/4
Car Name - Elsie (LC)
Car Type - 92 Black RS Stock 190k
Car Name - (yet to be decided)
Car Type - 93 (soon Black) GS KLZE 130k
pipes

Re: Learning to Fiberglass (hopefully)

Post by pipes »

SOunds like a good plan..
Have a look at my web site.. I think it will help you alot!
I think page 3 has a very good "how to"
Feel free to ask me any questions
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

fiberglassing is easy and i luv it. i was thinking of having fiberglass hatch cover and install 2 12's instead of cutting up oem cover.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

fiberglassing is simple. here's a basic idea of how easy it is.. the only hard part is if you're doing some type of custom enclosure, the only hard part involved is making the mold of the whole thing. thats pretty much the tough stuff. the fiberglassing is the easy stuff.

if you want to make a fiberglass hatch cover, you won't really need any plywood as a frame or anything. 4-6 layers of fiberglass is strong enough.

some good beginner fiberglass materials to start out with can be bought at your local home depot:
- fiberglass strand or mat
- disposable brushes (very important. don't buy expensive ones. you'll HAVE to throw them away after use)
- some type of resin w/ hardener or activator
- sandpaper heavy grit 40, sand again with 120 grit, then finish with a 500 grit and maybe wetsand with a 1000 or 2000 grit (doesn't have to be the exact grit sandpaper. they have sandpaper kits at home depot that comes with 3-4 roughnesses.)
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”