sub question

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
MI-Archangel

sub question

Post by MI-Archangel »

hey guys i wanna put a 12" sub in my trunk but with no box i want it to be as low to ground as possible i ws thinking making wood with circle for sub and making that my floor and caprteing it so it is kind alike in the spare tire well. any pics of setup like this? sugestions
BumpNGlow

Re: sub question

Post by BumpNGlow »

fiberglass it. It's very doable. Read up on it a little. Head over to termpro and do some searches on fiberglassing the spare tire well.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
MI-Archangel

Post by MI-Archangel »

here is a link with a kind aclose not what i want idea<p>http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=235070&make_type_query=make%3DMazda&model_brand_query=model%3DMX-3&tree=Mazda%20MX-3<p>u c i want one that looks like its floor so sub is like built into middle of it and botom of sub goes in spare tire well.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Put one in the spare tire well. It will be off center if you put it directly in the nmiddle of the spare tire well so move it over a tad so its offset. You can coat the inside of the tire well with fiberglass resin or a bunch of layers of dynamat, and for the top you can use some wood. Make sure you go heavy on the caulking and the screws. The only hard part would be making it a totally sealed enclosure, since the rear has nothing for the top(wood) to attach to. Maybe fabricate some brackets or something???? ORRRR you can make life easier and make a fiberglass enclosure and put it inside the spare tire well. Good luck.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Theroetically, you can get away without fiberglassing the well. You can just build a floor out of MDF, and seal it straight to the steel floor and use the metal spare tire well as your enclosure. You'll need to make sure the piece of MDF is sealed really good around the edges to the car's steel, though. If you get any leaks, that's goign to hurt your output with the backwave cancelling the front. Also, you'll probably only have enough room in there for a small sealed sub. Personally, I'm going to port mine. I found there's plenty more room in the back of these MX3's than I expected to build a nice big enclosure.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

I think you should just build a little box out of MDF and stick it in the spare tire well. Put a mid-grade sub in a sealed enclosure and that would do the trick. If your going to go with one sub, dont go cheap. You know what would be neat....make it so you cant see the sub. People would be like "WTF, how does he have all of this bass with no sub!?" Just a thought....It'd definitely be different.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”