from inside-out

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Hy300

from inside-out

Post by Hy300 »

Okay, whatever, maybe the title will get some attention.<p>I finally decided to install the Audiobahn 6 1/2 mids, 1" tweeters, and crossover that I bought so long ago. I figured out where all the wires are, how to mount the speakers, and the mids.<p>My problem now is getting the wiring from inside the car (coming from the head unit) into the crossover, and then out to the door panel and to the mid. The factory wire for the speaker looks way too small. So how do I get my provided wire from inside of the car, out through the door, to the speaker, so I can replace the factory wire?
markV6

Re: from inside-out

Post by markV6 »

Just a suggestion get some more ideas first but you could attach the end of new wire to one end of the old with insulating tape and as you pull the old wire out the new wire should trace through...
You could give it a go! make sure the attachment is strong enough to hold while you pull the old wire out.
Or take the door cards and things off. I would do it trial and error but that's just me... at least then you know whats going off inside your car.
Hope this has been a little bit of help.
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

That's a great idea. I see what you're saying, it might be possible too. I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can do it.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

I'm really drunk now so forgive me if i say something incoherrent....but the above post will not work. The factory wire running to the door speaker isnt just wiere, there is also a plastic wiring harness there. I tried this. I actually ran larger wire, but it was a pain. I had to remove the factory plastic harness and run the wires by themselves. It was a pain in the arse. sorry if this doesnt make sense but i am under the influcence...adios
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
markV6

Post by markV6 »

I had a feeling that could happen... it's a 50 / 50 chance....
I'm gonna be replacing my stock units very soon so let me know how you get on...
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

MX3man83 is right. I checked, when you open the door there is a rubber boot that protects the wiring. If you take take it off closest to the frame you will see that it there is actually a plastic wire harness in there.<p>Guess my next option is to drill two small holes just large enough for the wire. One in the door frame and one in the door. This sucks
markV6

Post by markV6 »

no man don't do it!
take off the door panel, and re-use the boot.... if you drill another hole the wire will probably break... trust me this isn't a good idea + it will make the door suseptable to rust!
May take a few hours more possibly but it will be worth it for a tidy install.
Use a piece of stiff wire to get your new one through.
take your time dude!
good luck
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

don't drill through the door itself. He's right, it'll make it more likely to rust b/c that part can get pretty exposed some times.<p>Drill through the white harness:
this kid's a pimp and I LOVE his car already! That's what I'll be doing for my neon wire probably. B/c I don't like how its ran now.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

I don't feel like taking off my door just to do this. I'll figure out a way. Damn, this is getting more complicated than I thought it would be.
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

I did find out something though.<p>Back when I bought a a set of speakers for the rear and my headunit I didn't know anything about wiring this stuff up. So I went to get it installed somewhere and they took forever to get it done. Today I found out that they didn't replace the factory wire going to my newer speakers in the back, so they are underpowered.<p>Also, I realized that Audiobahn didn't include two screws necessary for one of the crossovers. So I can't wire in my tweeter for one side because I only have 4 screws. So now I have no tweeters up front untill I can get replacement screws.
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

I just ran my new wires last week. I had three (mid-bass, mid and tweeter) and ran them all through the stock boot. Drilling through the connector is a pretty good idea, but I think you'd have to take more apart than I wanted to.<p>Here's what I did:
Disconnect and remove the connector from the hole in the car.
Remove the boot from the connector.
Using a Dremel or the like, cut off the rounded part above the square part of the connector (the semi-circle on the white connector in the above picture.)
Run your new wires out of the car, through the boot and into the door using the new space you made above the connector.
When you reattach the boot to the connector it will still be snug and the car-side of the connector will hold it firmly in the factory opening. You could never tell that mine is modified by looking in the door jambs.<p>Have fun!
jesse_85_69

Post by jesse_85_69 »

personally, i would just use the stock wires.. becuz if ur using subs.. cuz those are gonna sound louder then any other thing in the car..then it wont matter to much what wires are leading to all your other speakers.. plus its a pain in the *** .. i wouldnt even bother.. but then again i dont really care what wires i use.. it all sounds almost the same nehow.. lol
Mo s Ricer

Post by Mo s Ricer »

thats not true it dose make a diff when u use good thick wire. the bigger the gauge of wire the less resistins the better sound and the less chance of blowing speaker or subs
mosricer is powerd by mx-3's,gen2 mr2's and of course SUBARU'S.
Live Life One Ride At A Time.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”