Anyone ever tried running different types of subs at onc

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
mx3man83

Anyone ever tried running different types of subs at onc

Post by mx3man83 »

I have two 12 inch mtx 8000 subs(8 ohms) and ive also got a 10 inch pioneer IMPP sub (4 ohm). Ive got a rockford fosgate 1000bd amp that is 2 Ohm stable. With just my two mtx subs i can only go down to 4 Ohms, which is not getting the most out of my amp. If i add the 4 Ohm pioneer and wire all three subs in parallel, i will be running the amp to the max(2-2.04 Ohms). Im wondering if anyone has ran two different style subs in the same car running off of the same amp?? What is the sound quality like? I have my box for the two mtx subs and id have to get a band pass box for my pioneer. FYI- my mtx subs are 400 RMS/1000 peak, and my pioneer is 250 RMS/500 peak. What do all of you audio freaks think?? :D<p>[ March 28, 2003: Message edited by: mx3man83 ]</p>
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
z_x71

Re: Anyone ever tried running different types of subs at onc

Post by z_x71 »

this is NOT recomended. when running two different size subs, the sound waves are two different sizes, and will cancle out at certain points giving you a "dead note" or the note sounds choppy. i guess try it if you want and see if you like it or not. but from my experience, i wouldn't do it. sell your 10" and buy another 12
Keep smiling, It keeps people wondering what you are doing!
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

it will not hurt to use two dif size subs. in fact if the 10 is in a bandpass and the 12s are sealed or ported the boxes will peak at dif frequencies which could make it sound better. dpend on a lot of things. as for the 10 cancling the 12s out depends on location and direction of the subs. think about this why don't ur front or rear midbasses cancle out ur subs? they don't because of the plane that the soundwave follows. keep ur subs all pointed the same direction and u will have no problem at all. with the subs pointed back the sound waves his the rerar of the car and then come forward to the windshield. ur midbasses send the sound wave twords ur feet thats why they do not cancle the subs out. now if u pointed the midbasses at chest level pointing backwards they would. if u have one sub pointed up and 2 pointed back they will cancle each other out slightly if u have ine pointed forward and one back they will cancle each other out slightly. u will need to experiment wiht this. best way to do it is to play a constant tone of like 45hz and mover the speakers around until it sounds the best. if u ahve any questions just ask
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

I'm going to try it. I have that lonely ten inch pioneer sitting in my closet so what the heck. So it doesnt work, all im out is a little bit of time right?? I can just sell the Pioneer and the box...I'll keep you all posted....I guess the main reason for me doing this is so i can lower my Ohm level. Currently my 12's are running at 4 Ohm, which means my amp is only putting out about 500 watts. If i can lower the Ohm level down to 2, my amp can put out 1000 true watts, which means i will have 1000 watts divided by 3 subs, which is about 333 watts per sub in stead of only 250. Making sense to you all??
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by z_x71:
when running two different size subs, the sound waves are two different sizes, and will cancle out at certain points giving you a "dead note" or the note sounds choppy. <hr></blockquote><p>Thanks for your input bro, its definitely logical to think that way. I've actually heard that before. But my thinking is as follows...My mtx subs are in a huge ported box and will put out one tone of bass, and my Pioneer will be in a band pass box, which in theory will put out different bass levels than my mtx subs. Who knows, im going to test it and ill let you all know.
My Cardomain site
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

there is no such thing as different size sound waves only amplitue(loudness) and frequency so that theory is totaly incorect no offense just stating the facts.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Honestly, i dont know specifically what his reasoning is, but i know ive heard something along those lines before at my local audio shop. I guess we'll find out when i try it, wish me luck!<p>[ March 29, 2003: Message edited by: mx3man83 ]</p>
My Cardomain site
codyhoover

Post by codyhoover »

Every car has sound cancelation. All sound cancelation is is 2 sound waves (doesnt even have to be the same frequency)lining up out of phase. It will either cancel the sound all together or produce a cyclic cancelation.<p>
Cars are almost the worst evironment for audio clarity. There is hard surfaces(dash/windows)that sound bounces off, soft surfaces(seats)that absorb it, the driver is not centered, and cars have some freaky resonance frequencies(and a lot of them). <p>Some of it can be fixed with digital time correction and digital processors, but that is still not going to get it all.<p>As for haveing 2 different subs, i dont think you will have a problem. If they do try and cancel each other the 12's are bigger(obviously) and you have 2 of them so the sound they produce is going to have much higher Amplitude and the 10 will not be able to cancel it all. It may just sound slightly quieter.<p>The only thing i would be worried about is the amp. There is way more to subs than just 4 or 8 ohms. The resistance varies depending on the displacment of the sub, therefore having 2 different subs is going to produce 2 different resistance patterns and I dont know how that would effect the amp. It might not at all.<p>I personally would run 2 amps but thats just me.
-Cody
Green '92 GS
140db on 1 12"
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

it will be 2 ohms no matter how u look at it
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

I was thinking of making a custom box to put the pioneer at the feet of the passenger seat, stuffed way up so its outta the way. I'm thinking that will help the imaging a little. Input anyone?
My Cardomain site
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

bass is omni directional so u can put the subs anywhere and it will sound like its all around you.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

You are partially right. Bass is omni-directional, which means it will travel in all directions from its source, unlike higher frequencies which travel in the direction they are pointed. Ever notice when your subs are pumping that it feels like your back is getting a massage, but not your front side??
My Cardomain site
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

ok thats different u only feal it on ur back because it the soundwave is obsorbed into the seat if it could pass through the seat and reflect off the windshield u would feal it on the front. feal has nothing to do with sound n e ways.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Ok dude, sure.
My Cardomain site
z_x71

Post by z_x71 »

k one more thing, it will work yes, i think putting the sub up by the passenger seat will work great, but tone it down a bit, you don't need insane bass comin from the front of the car, it will add some more omph in the hit, and maybe a bit clearer. YES when you put two different size subs together they will sound outa phase and hit/sound funny. i've only been building stereo systems for 2 years now and am MECP certified, but whatever i don't know a thing. i say do what you want, i've seen some pretty weird things done before and sound awesome, i hope it works, but putting the sub up front will help ALOT and will sound great! (hopefully) and if not well then try something else but good luck!
Keep smiling, It keeps people wondering what you are doing!

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”