Question for loadsubs?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Question for loadsubs?

Post by neverenuff »

I have two subs dual voice 6ohm. now I know if I have a set of dual 4 ohm I can get it down to 1ohm. So what would this go down to, 0 ohm or I should say below a ohm. If that is the case what amp is stable for this and powerfull enough for this. Lastly how should I wire these. oh also I am looking for a mono amp. Thnx in advance man.
mzdspd

Re: Question for loadsubs?

Post by mzdspd »

dual 6 ohm voice coils can get u a 3ohm or a 12ohm load. i would go 3ohm and get an amp that is stable at 2ohm then u will have no problems.<p>[ March 25, 2003: Message edited by: mzdspd ]</p>
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mzdspd:
dual 6 ohm voice coils can get u a 3ohm or a 12ohm load. i would go 3ohm and get an amp that is stable at 2ohm then u will have no problems.<p>[ March 25, 2003: Message edited by: mzdspd ]<hr></blockquote><p>Yea thats for one sub I have two.
92RedMX3

Post by 92RedMX3 »

one that will do either 2 ohm per channel stereo or 1 ohm mono. That will work. If you parallel all the voice coils and then parallel the two subs it will do a 1.5ohm load. So a one ohm is more than safe. I really good brand 2 ohm stable could work but is not as safe.
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

Just for your info you can't have negative resistance. That would be like making power out of nothing. :-)
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Len-Dogg:
Just for your info you can't have negative resistance. That would be like making power out of nothing. :-)<hr></blockquote><p>What????
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

is what hes saying is u will never reach 0 ohms it will always be something.
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

Right, you are dividing the resitance seen by the amp. You can keep on dividing forever but you will never reach zero. Fundamental math postulate of some sort. haha
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
92RedMX3

Post by 92RedMX3 »

This is true, but no one ever said it would. I made the suggestion of a 1 ohm stable amp. You can get cheater amps that will do over 1000watts RMS at .25 ohm.
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

Are you saying just my subs can't or all .
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

there is no such thing as zero ohms that would be in a perfect world with no resistance at all.
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

Oh no you can have a load below an ohm.
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

Oh really how is that? LOL The equation governming electricity is V=I*R. Voltage=current*resistance. If you set resistance negative, then you would have to have either negative current, or negative voltage to satisfy the equation. I suppose if you considered that, then yes it is possible. But we are talking about voltage and current flowing to the load, not away from it. Remember this is all DC stuff. Current and voltage from battery to load.
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

I'll give you an example I have an sounddtream amp Reference405s wich can run high current or high power if I were loads at or below 1 ohm it must be ran at high current if not it must be ran high power. Now if you could not run a load below 1 ohm why would that option be availible.
loudsubz

Post by loudsubz »

You cant have negative resistance, that is correct, but you can have a load below 1 ohm.<p>Example.<p>Quad Coil 2 ohm sub, all in paralell would yield 0.5 ohms so its very possible. To find an amp capable is another.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”