4x4 Mx-3 Project?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Nd4SpdSe

4x4 Mx-3 Project?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

K, im just a nerd that likes cars, so if some it doesnt really make sence let me know, one day at at work on my break i had a whole bunch of ideas jumble together into this project:<p>So remember listening to a conversation about someone saying what would be the idea drag car, and that would be a 4x4 vehicle...someone had said that there a 4x4 in Japan that uses the Mx-3 platform, i kinda like the idea of a 4x4 mx-3, this is what ive some up with:<p>I want a winter beater, so i was thinking of getting a 2nd Mx-3, like a 94 RS, cheeper to purchase, cheep on gas, cheeper on insurance than my GS.<p>The RS, being a 4cyl, it would be easy to to a BPT or B6T swap. Someone posted that the B6t/bpt came with an AWD tranny, so there's 2 parts ready, engine and tranny.<p>What i need to find out is what work will be involved for the drivetrain to drive both wheels, how it will be done, and if you need to get the parts from that Jap 4x4 or if you can use the ones from a AWD 323.<p>Later on you modify the car, add a turbo to the engine, increase the hight, bigger tires, brush bar, off-roading lights, a unique project indeed, and a fun winter beater in the end :D <p>So whats the possibility of that being possible?<p>[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</p>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
anjin1982

Re: 4x4 Mx-3 Project?

Post by anjin1982 »

with money anything is possible this as brought up b4(search!)(not to sound like an a$$!
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
TedLeeper

Post by TedLeeper »

http://www.mx-3.com/race/rally-02.jpg <p>I don't know if it's awd/4wd or a rwd conversion but i would love to see a 4wd mx3 or even hear about one.
Hmm. what to do now..
....maybe a VTEC for lunch.
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

well, it is definitely possible as a buddy from the lexus forum spent 10 grand canadian and built the first AWD lexus IS300,,,,
It is the sickest car, and he got the idea when he first bought the car, he had the choice of a WRX only because it was an AWD, and he put the idea to work on an IS300, this project includes a stage 4 turbo that puts out 670 BHP,,,,
i searched soo much for any online information on this car,,, and i will try to post ASA i contact em,,, :D :D
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by anjin1982:
with money anything is possible this as brought up b4(search!)(not to sound like an a$$!<hr></blockquote><p>You mean this had already been though of? whoa!
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
mattster

Post by mattster »

ive thought of it... i have heard that the 323 GTX (AWD) frame is so very similar to the mx-3 frame. i would say that the first step would be to buy one of these 323's and basically use the whole drivetrain setup, and use the mx-3 body... basically play frankenstein with the two different cars. :D
completely different story but i have seen a 2nd gen rx-7 body on a mustang 5.0 frame using the mustang engine, tranny, axles, etc. :shrug:
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

i believe almost everyone has thought of this but not many people dare to try. it would be awesome to see an awd mx3. your friend must have a pretty quick car, definately original and also at least 35k USD. personally i would have chosen the wrx spend 10G's and still saved 10G's for my pocket.
Manach

Post by Manach »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
<p>You mean this had already been though of? whoa!<hr></blockquote><p>It is not only been thought.. It has been done.. Mx-3 in Laval, Québec.<p>Those cars are keep secret as hell.. :( and one is supposely using a V6 engine.. Kl-ZE on.. :D
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
Manach

Post by Manach »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mattster:
ive thought of it... i have heard that the 323 GTX (AWD) frame is so very similar to the mx-3 frame. i would say that the first step would be to buy one of these 323's and basically use the whole drivetrain setup, and use the mx-3 body... basically play frankenstein with the two different cars. :D <hr></blockquote><p>Yup, that's the first step ;) as the 323 and Mx-3 body got 5 milimeters difference..
Manach

Still got 3 Engines!

oatmealman

Post by oatmealman »

<p>[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: oatmealman ]</p>
HONDA'S SUCKS
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Manach:
It is not only been thought.. It has been done.. Mx-3 in Laval, Québec.<p>Those cars are keep secret as hell.. :( and one is supposely using a V6 engine.. Kl-ZE on.. :D <hr></blockquote><p>Really, what for? Any detail about how he did it? Why would you wanna keep that a secret?
Manach

Post by Manach »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
<p>Really, what for? Any detail about how he did it? Why would you wanna keep that a secret?<hr></blockquote><p>Well, there is a post.. Don't remember where I saw it. CustomMx3 post on it too.. and it was on PorbeTalk. But the guy didn't want to chat about it.. :) So I suppose this is secret..<p>And why would you keep something secret? Well, not the be copied? :p If you are the first, it is always better..
Manach

Still got 3 Engines!

Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

at one point I was trying to figure out if I could take a miata drivetrain to convert the MX-3 to rwd, but it seemed like way too much expense, after talking with the mechanics
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
your2slow

Post by your2slow »

Any update on the 4X4 mx-3? Is someone going to try?
KL-ZE, Custom Intake, Apex Lowering Springs, and more to come this year.

Toronto Mx-3 Club
My Cardomain Site
davidosk024

Post by davidosk024 »

If your going to do a conversion.... it is going to cost BIG $$$$ no matter if its fwd to rwd<p>or fwd to AWD both cost alot<p>so go the AWD converion. I would recommend using
the EVO drivetrain,.,.. the thing is rock solid and never dies.<p>My roommate drives and evo5 and it hooks up insanely hard.
In
Eunos 30x, v6
KL-ZE, 2.5in exhaust, K&N intake
Unichip, LSD, 13lb flywheel, ACT2 clutch, NGK iridium Plugs, Top Gun Leads...<p>Goin In
Cams, Headers, TB, Extractors,
Bored to 2.8, Mazdaspeed Struts, Mazdaspeed strut tops,
Mazdaspeed swaybars, Eibach springs, Cusco Adj. Strut tops, Body kit, Altezza lights, Short shifter, Crossdrilled rotors and Calipers from AP racing, Braided brake lines, Braided clutch line, Mazdaspeed steering wheel, Mazdaspeed Leather shift knob,

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”