what if i don't have a blue wire in dash

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions

what if i don't have a blue wire in dash

Post by Guest »

I have a minor problem hopefully,i trying to hook up stereo for my friend in his '89 GMC van,which has no blue wire,which is the remote wire i believe.Now it worked in his astro with the blue wire hooked up,the astro has a blue wire in the dash,the stereo doesn't work without the blue wire hooked up.Now my question is can hook the blue wire to anything else to make it work,or what does the blue wire do???? :confused:
your2slow

Re: what if i don't have a blue wire in dash

Post by your2slow »

u might need a wiring kit. U can get them at walmart for like 9 dollars or something like that.
KL-ZE, Custom Intake, Apex Lowering Springs, and more to come this year.

Toronto Mx-3 Club
My Cardomain Site

Post by Guest »

I bought the wiring kit from canadian tire for an 87'to 91' GMC but did't come close to fitting so I did it the hard way and the only wire i'm missing from the dash is the blue wire,deck makes noise but won't light up or make music so i put it back in his astro does the same thing without the blue wire hooked up but when i hook up the blue wire everything lights up & works :confused:
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

sounds like the "blue wire" is a remote wire which is a 12v line that should be hooked to accesorie. you can hook this into the same line that the radio fuse in the vehicle ic connected to.
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

just run another wire from the battery (or fuse box) and put a fuse and a switch on it... then he has total control.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!

Post by Guest »

Thanks for everyones help I'm going to try these ideas tonight but if anyone can suggest anything else,I'd be very thankful
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Does the van have an automatic antenna? If so, the blue wire is suppose to be hooked up to that too. I dont think that would have anything to do with playing music though....I think u might have made a mistake wiring it in. Have u wired in stereos before?? NOt saying anything against you but u know, it just sounds funny....just double check your wires bro.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

he's looking for the remote wire. Which is usuall blue.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.

Post by Guest »

yes i've hooked up stereos before,the first time the hard way but the next four or five times i used the piece you get from canadian tire,the problem with this van is i can't hook up one of those pieces so i have to do it the hard way.the only problem is there no wire in the dash to connect the blue wire to! :shrug:
92RedMX3

Post by 92RedMX3 »

The blue wire should be capped off uness you are running it to a amp or power att.
Hex3

Post by Hex3 »

<p>[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: Hex3 ]</p>
2.5 KL-ZE, BBS rims, I the front i have to falkin Azenis, Intrax Springs, CM Stage 1 clutch, and Fidanza flywheel, Pacesetter short shifter, Tociko Blue Struts, Sparco Steering Wheel, Yellow Top Battery
Alpine Type R Subs 10's, Alpine 2 Channel Amp, Alpine 4 channel
Amp, Alpine Alarm,Alpine Headunit
14.8 @ 94.2(with vaccume lick)
Hex3

Post by Hex3 »

ok this is what u do to make this work first check all the fuses.... then u have to have 3 wires to make the radio come on
1. 12V constant =yellow
2. Accesorie wire which gets 12v when u turn the key = red
3. a good ground and that radio should work i will post all the wire colors for that car later on when i get to work... =black
after that all u need it the speaker wires. know the blue wire that u are talking about is that wire on the radio u are tring to put in if so there, there is a blue which is for ur antenna and the blue wire with a white strip= thats ur remote wire that makes ur amp turn on.. if u have one... go to any car radio place and they should sell a harnest that clips in to that vehical clip...<p>[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: Hex3 ]<p>[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: Hex3 ]</p>
2.5 KL-ZE, BBS rims, I the front i have to falkin Azenis, Intrax Springs, CM Stage 1 clutch, and Fidanza flywheel, Pacesetter short shifter, Tociko Blue Struts, Sparco Steering Wheel, Yellow Top Battery
Alpine Type R Subs 10's, Alpine 2 Channel Amp, Alpine 4 channel
Amp, Alpine Alarm,Alpine Headunit
14.8 @ 94.2(with vaccume lick)
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BumpNGlow:
he's looking for the remote wire. Which is usuall blue.<hr></blockquote><p>I know the remote is usually blue. The remote wire can also hook up to a power antenna, not just amps.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

there should be a seperate wire for power antenna... you want the wire just to have power when the radio does. The antenna should go back in when the radio is not in use.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

There is not always a seperate wire for the power antenna.
My Cardomain site

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”