Will this idea work?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
azmtbkr81

Will this idea work?

Post by azmtbkr81 »

I want to put 6X9 speakers in the rear of MX-3 and I came up with this (hopefully) brilliant idea. My rear cargo cover is partly broken so I was thinking about making a new cover out of plywood and covering it with carpet and mounting the 6x9's into that. I am worried that maybe the cover would rattle too much when the speakers hit, what do you guys think?<P>Also, what do you guys think about BOSS audio stuff, I am trying to find an inexpensive deck to replace my really nice JVC one that was stolen a while back, I don't want to get anything too nice because it will probably just be stolen again, I just want something that sounds decent that won't fall apart before before it can be stolen :D Thanks for the help!
'94 Blaze Red RS<P>I may not have a lot of horsepower but I know how to use it!
LiL-LaW

Re: Will this idea work?

Post by LiL-LaW »

Hiya, well I didn't have a cargo hatch at all so what I did is cut out some plywood like you said and mounted them into that, I just made sure I put a lil but of foam betweend the wood and the plastic and I don't notice much rattling, I screwed it down really well though, I got 3 screws on each side of the wood, the pic of it should be at... <A HREF="http://members.rogers.com/lil.law/newback.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://members.rogers.com/lil.law/newback.jpg</A>

Post by Guest »

what i would suggest doing is building your self a new cover with plywood and laminating it with a layer of plexyglass or anything thin that will give you added support, but you want to keep it thin so it wont weigh to much, then carpet it so it looks pretty, install your speakers in it, buy some stronger rope then the original stuff that pulls up the cover, keep it light as possible, and that should do her, i think it would look cool, i might even do it some day, im not sure if the hatch pins the cover down, but if it doesnt then make some kind of latches that will keep it from bouncing when going over bumps.
quinn_seipp

Post by quinn_seipp »

how the heck did u make the sub box? or did you buy it? looks real cool. What's it made of? :o
130 hp and 1000 horsepower strong, ;)
LiL-LaW

Post by LiL-LaW »

If you were talking about my sub box, it's made from plexi-glass with silcone holding it all together, and a front window to put the subs in, the glass has a green tint added to it to help give it that green look when lit up
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

boss audio=crap<BR>you get what you pay for<BR>i just did a full system in my friends car for 850,<BR>alpine motorized cd head<BR>6-3/4 speakers (4)<BR>type r sub<BR>rockford amp 300x1<BR>made box myself<BR>lightening audio wires<BR>total<BR>$850<BR>Dan
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project
azmtbkr81

Post by azmtbkr81 »

Thanks for all the advice guys, I went ahead and made a hatch cover out of plywood and mounted some Pioneer 6x9s in it. It looks and sounds great. The 6x9s hit much harder than the 6.5s even with my stock deck, I think all that extra air space makes a big difference. If anyone is interested I can post some pics and instructions on my website, it was defienietely a worthwhile upgrade over that flimsy stock cover and it was not very difficult to do.
azmtbkr81

Post by azmtbkr81 »

my bad, double post.<p>[ November 24, 2002: Message edited by: azmtbkr81 ]

Post by Guest »

I don't know why everybody thinks 6x9's are like the god of all speakers. In reality, if your trying to build a nice sounding system, you don't want a lot of sound comming from the rear. Just think of it this way. When you go to a concert, do you turn your back to the stage so the sound comes from behind you? Or do you face it so you can watch the band play? As well, the goal for speakers aren't to "hit hard" But if that's what your looking for, a good round speaker can "hit harder" then a 6x9 can anyday. Whenever I sell a system to one of my customers, I urge them to spend more money on the front stage and just go cheap for the rear. After all you just want the rear for rear-fill anyways. And get yourself a sub to cover the bass and let the speakers do the midbass and up. Many of them come back and thank me for it afterwards. You'll be much happier if you build your front stage more then the rear.
nksmx-3

Post by nksmx-3 »

hey azmountain biker i did the same thing w/the cargo cover but i didn't use screws to hold it down i used strips of velcro the industrial streinth stuff and it dont rattle what so ever, and it helps by not ruining the car by puttin screws in it. i also stencled mazda mx-3 on the carpet to give it a nice touch. cool talking to you again ,<BR>peace out all.
late night conversations turn into a fight, and all the years youve been frustrated finaly subside, and you walk away, to face the day, alone.
azmtbkr81

Post by azmtbkr81 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Just think of it this way. When you go to a concert, do you turn your back to the stage so the sound comes from behind you? Or do you face it so you can watch the band play? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I listen to mostly techno/trance/house music with a little rap mixed in and if you have ever been to a club or rave where a live DJ is spinning, the music comes from speakers placed all over and your position relative to those speakers is constantly changing. Therefor this idea of the music coming at you from the front really doesn't apply to this type of music. Plus, there is no room to mount 6x9s in the front of an mx-3, the trunk space below the hatch cover is the perfect airspace for them. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>As well, the goal for speakers aren't to "hit hard" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>If you listen to techno and rap, bass is the most important part of the music, granted the bass shouldn't drown out the other elements of the music but in general a bassy system is desirable.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>a good round speaker can "hit harder" then a 6x9 can anyday. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>The closest standard sized round speaker to a 6x9 is a 6 3/4 and I've never heard a 6 3/4 that can hit harder that a 6x9. I'm no audio expert, and I'm sure that there are some ultra pricey 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 speakers that are bassier than say my Pioneer 6x9s but on average 6x9s can produce more bass due to the larger surface area of their woofers.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>And get yourself a sub to cover the bass and let the speakers do the midbass and up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I used to have a Rockford Fosgate 10in sub and a Pioneer amp, and it sounded great but my whole system was stolen 2 weeks after I installed it so I refuse to get a setup like that again. I doubt any thief will break into my car to steal 6x9s that are securly bolted down. <P>Thats cool if you are into trying to perfectly recreate a concert enviornment in your car, but it seems silly to me because there are so many other noises (engine, traffic, talking with friends) and distractions that I just don't think I'd really have time to appreciate a system like that. For me, 6x9s in the rear and 6 1/2s in front are perfect.
azmtbkr81

Post by azmtbkr81 »

NksMX-3-<BR>I actually didn't end up bolting it down, I just covered in in black carpet and that seems to dampen vibrations fine so far. What part of Phoenix are you from? I was thinking it might be cool to organize a mini-meet in Phoenix over Thanksgiving weekend, maybe we could all get something to eat or go down to Mill on Friday or Saturday night? Let me know what you think.
Psyrg

Post by Psyrg »

Did you have an alarm when your speakers were stolen? Its worth spending $200 on a high quality alarm if you are going to spend $800 on an audio set up.<P>Two of my friends have had awesome audo setups, and unfortunatly only got arund to installing an alarm after it was stolen. :(
nksmx-3

Post by nksmx-3 »

az mountain biker who all did you plan on having come to the mini meet, as far as i know i would be able to meet up on friday or saturday night, write me back at nksmx_3@hotmail.com :) :)
late night conversations turn into a fight, and all the years youve been frustrated finaly subside, and you walk away, to face the day, alone.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”