2 channel versus 4 channel...?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Shades

2 channel versus 4 channel...?

Post by Shades »

I feel dumb, but it's the only way I'm gonna learn...<P>What is the difference between 2 and 4 channel amps?
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
Ogimoj

Re: 2 channel versus 4 channel...?

Post by Ogimoj »

A channel refers to an independant input-output. So a 2-channel is basically like 2 amps in one - typically used with signal for the right speakers going into one channel and left going into the other- This allows the signals to be different (stereo) - sound coming out of the right side is different than the left. 4-channel is typically used for Front-Right, Front-Left, Rear-Right, and Rear-Left setup. Unless you're doing something special, just stick with matching the same number of channels on the amp to how many the head unit has. Also, you'll hear the term 'bridge' which refers to the ability of most amplifiers to combine 2 or more channels into amplifying the same signal for more power output.<p>[ October 09, 2002: Message edited by: Ogimoj ]
Shades

Post by Shades »

Sweet... thanks for the reply...

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

He's right but there is a little more to it....Different artists make different songs that are basically like surround sound. IF you were to bridge 2 or more of the channels, you will not get that affect...for example....sometimes a song will play one instrument for a brief period on 1 or 2 channels, and not the others...if you were to use a 2 channel amp and bridge, you would not get this affect. Im not sure if that is clear but im kinda drunk still from tonight...let me check back tomorrow when i can think straight and put it in words!!!
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Shades

Post by Shades »

Ah good drunk advice... "show me your..."---> bad drunk advice!

BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

the only problem that I ever see ppl run into w/ 4 channel amps is you rarely get the full power out of the amp. You have to make sure you have speakers that are the right ohm load to get the maximum power out of the amp. A lot of ppl just go w/ a 2 channel setup and run the Front L and Rear L on the left channel, and the Front R and Rear R on the right channel.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
Shades

Post by Shades »

Yeah you are right I was just reading the specs on the amp, and you only get 30watts with 4ohm, and 60watts with 2ohm...<P>Could you run a sub with a 4 channel... or is it better to go with a 2 channel bridged?

mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shades:<BR><STRONG>Ah good drunk advice... "show me your..."---> bad drunk advice!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>LOL nice...i agree....
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shades:<BR><STRONG>Yeah you are right I was just reading the specs on the amp, and you only get 30watts with 4ohm, and 60watts with 2ohm...<P>Could you run a sub with a 4 channel... or is it better to go with a 2 channel bridged?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>you can do it, but once again, you would not be getting the full power out of the amp... you could do 2 subs on a 4 channel amp and get full power though.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
Shades

Post by Shades »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BumpNGlow:<BR><STRONG><P>you can do it, but once again, you would not be getting the full power out of the amp... you could do 2 subs on a 4 channel amp and get full power though.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>When you say 2 subs on a 4 channel amp... you mean a bridged amp, right?

tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mx3man83:<BR><STRONG>He's right but there is a little more to it....Different artists make different songs that are basically like surround sound. IF you were to bridge 2 or more of the channels, you will not get that affect...for example....sometimes a song will play one instrument for a brief period on 1 or 2 channels, and not the others...if you were to use a 2 channel amp and bridge, you would not get this affect. Im not sure if that is clear but im kinda drunk still from tonight...let me check back tomorrow when i can think straight and put it in words!!!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hardly anyone has surround sound decoding in their car unless it's for DVD or some video setup. Tapes, CDs, Radio all have ONLY 2 channels, and AM only has one! The reason that they make four or six channel output is so that you can adjust the fader from the head unit, and it's a little easier to build 4 20 watt amps than 2 40 watt amps.<P>You can make some sounds seem to come from the rear/front depending on the crossover of the system, and frequency(s) of the sound, you can get this effect from 2 channel amps as well.
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tk1138:<BR><STRONG><P>Hardly anyone has surround sound decoding in their car unless it's for DVD or some video setup. Tapes, CDs, Radio all have ONLY 2 channels, and AM only has one! The reason that they make four or six channel output is so that you can adjust the fader from the head unit, and it's a little easier to build 4 20 watt amps than 2 40 watt amps.<P>You can make some sounds seem to come from the rear/front depending on the crossover of the system, and frequency(s) of the sound, you can get this effect from 2 channel amps as well.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I was reading this thread ready to say exactly what TK1138 just said. I guess he beat me to it...<P>But to make my post worth something, I'll expand on what I think Shades was getting at....<P>You need to make sure that however you setup your sub, that it is getting both the L and R signals. If you turn your balance all the way to the left or right and you don't hear any bass, then that's the problem.<P>You'd be amazed how many people out there I've seen do this....
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tk1138:<BR><STRONG><P>Hardly anyone has surround sound decoding in their car unless it's for DVD or some video setup. Tapes, CDs, Radio all have ONLY 2 channels, and AM only has one! The reason that they make four or six channel output is so that you can adjust the fader from the head unit, and it's a little easier to build 4 20 watt amps than 2 40 watt amps.<P>You can make some sounds seem to come from the rear/front depending on the crossover of the system, and frequency(s) of the sound, you can get this effect from 2 channel amps as well.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>There maybe only 2 channels with your average CD, but what i said is still true. Artists make songs that play different sounds in different channels, if you dont believe me then play blink 182 on your stereo and then try and tell me different.
My Cardomain site

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”