blew my head unit!!!

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
macnwigs

blew my head unit!!!

Post by macnwigs »

Hey guys,<P>anyone know why I would blow my head unit, doing this?<P>I got a small 100 watt amp (for door speakers) and it's kinda dummy proof...you put the cables in the marked pulgs then put the whole plug in the amp.<P>I out everuthing together and it was working.....then I turned up the volume a little and a puff of smoke comes outta my deck and now no sound!!!<P>The power is still on, but absolutely no sound.<P>Any ideas???
"A man is only as old as the woman he feels"
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
Paragon

Re: blew my head unit!!!

Post by Paragon »

sounds like your remote wire to the amp got chaffed and grounded itself out
macnwigs

Post by macnwigs »

is that fixable?
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macnwigs:<BR><STRONG>is that fixable?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>cracking open a head unit to fix it is a very dangerous and sometimes pointless encounter, i would reccomend just replacing it. Do you have a warranty?
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
macnwigs

Post by macnwigs »

nope, I got it off my brother-in-law a couple years ago...<P>I saw a nice MP3 cd deck on the Future shop Website, so I guess I'll just replace it.
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

-Albert Einstein
gmoney23

Post by gmoney23 »

warranty would help..but..could have been your ground wire...remote wire..or maybe blew the fuse from you cd player
Garrett
macnwigs

Post by macnwigs »

I frigged it good!<P>Here's a pic of my new unit<P> Image
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

-Albert Einstein
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

If you haven't thrown your old head away yet, I might be able to fix it, or at least tell you what died in it. PM me if your interested.
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

how much? I have a JVC HU that stopped playing CDs on me and I liked it a lot. Its hard to sell a broken CD player. All the other features work.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

This happened to me when i was installing one of my amps and my deck. The thing is, i had some fuses blown and did not know it, so when i was wiring in the deck and amp, It was doing some funny things, like playing when it shouldnt and so on and so forth....I had taken the fuse out of the remote line cuz i blew it and didnt have another one on me, I turned it on, and had the wires hooked up wrong, and it fried my deck. Good thing i had purchased a warranty!! Just a warning to you all, when you try to wire in your deck and something does not seeem right, check your fuses!!
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

or you could just save yourself time and money and disconnect the battery before you do any install
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

Bump 'n Glow: If you pay shipping, 20$ (USD) or maybe you have something else lying around like speakers, or a small amp... + Parts.<P>Everyone: Yes, disconnect your battery BEFORE you work on your system, double check EVERYTHING before you reconnect the battery. It's faster to do it right the first time....<p>[ October 15, 2002: Message edited by: tk1138 ]
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paragon:<BR><STRONG>or you could just save yourself time and money and disconnect the battery before you do any install</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Yea, just like it tells you to in every instruction book ever created<BR> :D
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tk1138:<BR><STRONG>Bump 'n Glow: If you pay shipping, 20$ (USD) or maybe you have something else lying around like speakers, or a small amp... + Parts.<BR></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If I pay shipping, what? And I do have a few other thigns sitting around. 2 shallow boxes for 10s(went in my last car), 1 Soundstream Angina(rated at 200, does more like 300+ --very small mono amp)
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02:<BR><STRONG><P><BR>Yea, just like it tells you to in every instruction book ever created<BR> :D</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes i know, i did do that when i initially installed my deck but when it wasnt working correctly i had to hook it back up to see what was going on. ie. test power delivery and such
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”