STOCK SPEAKER REPLACEMENTS??

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
gleichnerr

STOCK SPEAKER REPLACEMENTS??

Post by gleichnerr »

I have a few questions about speaker recommendations:<P>Q1. Has anybody tried the newer speakers in the doors, which have "steerable" tweeters?<BR>(I would think that it would be nice to aim them up into "maximum clear space".)<P>Q2. Crutchfield's info. on the MX-3 states that one set (front or rear? I forget) is easy to replace, while the other set probably needs to be top-mounted, rather than behind the panel per stock.<P>Q3. Finally, taking Q1 & Q2 into consideration, what are some "decent", but not too expensive speakers to replace the stock units? (I think that I have a cracked cone in the back - sounds like something is rattling aroung on top of the cone.) As for Power Handling - the only other mod I might make would be to replace the In-Dash Casette with an in-dash CD (I kind of like Blaupunkt), but probably not any sort of Amp - unless something nice could fit into the "bin" below the existing tape / radio unit.
Ron Gleichner<BR>1992 GS<BR>Stock (at least, for now)<P>ZOOMX3
marshmallow15

Re: STOCK SPEAKER REPLACEMENTS??

Post by marshmallow15 »

i have a pair of blaupunkt 5 1/4 speakers for sale. i cut the wire to install them, but that's what you're supposed to do anyway. they're $35 w/ $10 shipping.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron Gleichner:<BR><STRONG>I have a few questions about speaker recommendations:<P>Q1. Has anybody tried the newer speakers in the doors, which have "steerable" tweeters?<BR>(I would think that it would be nice to aim them up into "maximum clear space".)<P>Q2. Crutchfield's info. on the MX-3 states that one set (front or rear? I forget) is easy to replace, while the other set probably needs to be top-mounted, rather than behind the panel per stock.<P>Q3. Finally, taking Q1 & Q2 into consideration, what are some "decent", but not too expensive speakers to replace the stock units? (I think that I have a cracked cone in the back - sounds like something is rattling aroung on top of the cone.) As for Power Handling - the only other mod I might make would be to replace the In-Dash Casette with an in-dash CD (I kind of like Blaupunkt), but probably not any sort of Amp - unless something nice could fit into the "bin" below the existing tape / radio unit.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>A1. I have a component set with a seperate tweeter I mounted up toward the window more. It sounds SO nice. I imagine those movable tweeters would sound nice as well.<P>A2. The front speakers are the hard ones to replace. A few peeps have had probs with the window hitting the magnet (mine on the pass. side hits a little). But if you put a small spacer in it helps prevent that. The rears on mine were a b---- becuz the peeps before me fucked it up and broke all the mounts.<P>A3. I payed $230 for my components and $200 for my 3-way's. They are all the Reference line of Infinity. The only thing is that they don't sound as good as they can because they aren't being powered as much as they can. You can buy an equilizer that will fit down there, that has an amplifier. Check it out. If you are worried about people seeing it, you can just mount it under your seat or something.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

i have the 6 1/2 infinity reference component set in the front with the tweeters mounted at the back of the door frame (where hanger is). Sounds nice and tweeters pierce well. I have 6 1/2 polk components in the back but i'm not even running the tweeter on those.. it would be pointless. both sets of speakers fit fine, though you may have to drill new holes in the door frame to mount them correctly. Infinity makes the regular 6 1/2 reference from 99 bucks. They are the clearest speakers i've heard for the money (just dont expect much bass).
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

Hey Ron I know what's wrong with your speaker that's making the crackling noise I had the same problem when I had my stock speakers. Take out the back speakers and there is a piece of material that covers the speaker it probably roughted and fell on the cone which is making the noise. Just take all of it off and it won't do it anymore or get new speakers haha which I recommend.
Steve
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

I'm not really sure about speakers, etc., but I was planning to upgrade mine from stock speakers. My budget was about $200 for both front and rear. I chose 6 1/2, 3 way speakers from sony (explod series) and it's been working just great. I cut off the existing factry connectors, cleaned them, and reused them. On the front speakers, I made some holes on the speakers so that they fit on the door. The rear speakers fit just right even though mazda recommends 5 1/2. I hope this helps you.<P>bungo
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

no offense to anyone but i'd tend to stay away from the sony explodes and any other series of speakers you can buy at wal-mart. Sony's a great company (PS2), but they just cant make a good speaker
Shaun Newman
Shades

Post by Shades »

I got the speakers for you... JBL GTO625... with a swivel tweeter... I got a set in the front... waiting for my set for the back. They work great... the tweeter really hits the high ones even with the stock stereo. But I can't really test the bass until I get a new deck... stock one is crap for bass. Check out the JBL site they are 6.5" and fit fine.<P>I agree with Bundy... stay away from Sony products. Panasonic all the way... well at least my deck is gonna be.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
msatz

Post by msatz »

Hey! I would suggest a web site for you. it is cardiscountstereos.com<BR>they are like a wholesale place to buy inexpensive speakers and stuff. Its amazing on what they sell for cheap. <P>I also have 2 10" sony explod subs and they aren't that great. Just check out the web site and see what i mean.
gleichnerr

Post by gleichnerr »

So,<P>(thanks for the advice so far)<P>It appears that the Front (Door) speakers are the "tricky" ones, but probably not really all that tricky, eh?<P>Sounds like what I should be looking for is a unit with minimum depth - I do like the idea of the steerable tweeters. Anybody know of a particularly decent model along these lines. (NOT something that needs 150 Watts to sound decent, please.) I'm looking for something that will provide improved sound with the stock unit, or possibly with an upgraded in-dash unit. <P>I installed a Blaupunkt Heidelburg in our '97 Passat, and it sounds great (but could be a little louder) with the stock speakers.
Ron Gleichner<BR>1992 GS<BR>Stock (at least, for now)<P>ZOOMX3
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

so what is wrong with xplode<BR>i bought a set for my bros truck they sound fine......and the walmart comment......cant you buy a sony ps2 there also.....i mean dont get me wrong but walmart sells crap speaker (drcrankinstien) but i got a set of pinoeer 6 1/2 3 way and have not had a problem with them<P>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

I'd suggest crutchfeild to look at stats and info for. I buy from them mostly, but they don't have EVERYTHING, and they aren't instant.<P>Companies that sell LOTS of stuff (e.g. Sony, Phillips, JVC, etc) sub-contract a lot of work, and are more concerned with the bottem line today than quality and reputatiuon for a side product. The way you SHOULD pick out speakers is side by side comparison of speakers that have the same mounting, are broken in, and warmed up. I know of nowhere you can do this, so asking is 2nd best, and infinities have more good references than any speaker I'm aware of.<P>HTH tk1138
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
DiGiTaL

Post by DiGiTaL »

LOL. Crutchfield not only doesn't have everything. They almost have nothing. In terms of high end speakers for home and car they are not the place to go. As for the fronts, don't worry about the depth. If it doesn't fit properly just have some spacers made from MDF, works like a charm. I have PolyKevlar 6.5's up front and the windows hit before I installed a .5" spacer.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

i agree with digital, crutchfield only sells mainstream car audio at average prices. I'd suggest you look somewhere else.<P>And as for the "whats wrong with sony"... Sony does not have a reputation for quality car audio speakers. If you compare a high end sony with a mid priced speaker from jbl, pioneer you'll see the difference. They sell they're speakers just by name.
Shaun Newman

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”