Dream MX-3

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
AlphaBitz

Dream MX-3

Post by AlphaBitz »

Awrite.. Here's the deal folks. Take a few mins.. or hours as you choose and dream up your dream/ultimate MX-3. We're looking for concept cars here. Pull no punches, Hold no prisoners, All out fun.<P>All the details..<BR>Engine mods/swaps<BR>Interior mods<BR>Exterior mods<BR>Intake/exhaust<BR>Suspension<BR>Brakes<BR>Wheels<BR>Sound systems<BR>Alarm systems<P>Go all out. Have some fun. Hopefully we can also get some discussion on these concepts as well as the pros/cons of the different parts and mods used.<P>Fire away!<P>------------<BR>Jesse Turner<BR>aka AlphaBitz<BR>MX-3 Dreamer<BR>Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
David Coleman

Re: Dream MX-3

Post by David Coleman »

Leda 24-way adjustable suspension to some lightweight 17x7 wheels. <P>2.7L Built motor, with regrinds, double valvesprings [~220# or so], ~1mm OS valves, 10:1 compression built long block block, T04E 60 trim or T66 [depending on road or track] pushing through a liquid to air intercooler. ITB intake manifold with ~400cc/min top feed injectors. Super quiet 2" exhaust [maybe stock] with remote exhaust cutout for track use or the occasional street showdown.<P>Ok, that's my 2 cents. Image<P>------------------<BR>David Coleman- <B><I>Moderator</B></I><BR><A HREF="http://www.PinkMX-3.com" TARGET=_blank>1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition</A><BR><B><I>Why get clear tail lights when only Geo Metros are gonna see them?</I></B>
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Evil G

Post by Evil G »

KL-ZE engine stroked out to 2.7 litres. T66 turbo (or maybe twin 3000GT turbos) front mounted trust air-air intercooler, veilside body kit, gas adjustable suspension, all leather interior. Momo sport 17x9 wheels with 245/40R17 tyres (dunlop formula FM901's) on it - oh yeh and a 100 shot NOS cannister around there somewhere..... 10 second ET's here we come!
'93 MX-3 (Eunos Presso)<BR>Custom Intake<BR>10mm ignition leads<BR>Straight through exhaust (no cats)<BR>Automatic->Manual trans. conversion
AlphaBitz

Post by AlphaBitz »

Hi guys.. I don't mean to sound daft but when it comes to cars I'm very new. I'm just looking for some explanation on some of the specs you've mentioned.<P>A 2.7L engine for the MX-3? I thought the KL-ZE was the biggest at 2.5L<P>Regrinds?<P>Stroked out?<P>T66 Turbo? 3000GT Turbos? I realize they're turbos but what are the stats and pros/cons of them and where might I find more info on them.<P>Thx guys.<BR><P>------------------<BR>------------<BR>Jesse Turner<BR>aka AlphaBitz<BR>MX-3 Dreamer<BR>Kanata, Ontario, Canada
AlphaBitz

Post by AlphaBitz »

Ok.. I'm looking for some advice on a few different things here. Part of the purpose of this topic was for me to get an idea of what parts to use and such and I will most likely be asking for more advice along those lines in the future.<P>I'm at a decision here. I have been looking into MX-3's for a long time and have been browsing to buy for a while with the ultimate goal of modifying my car pretty much in every aspect including engine. I have recently found an MX-3 that fits all the specifics of what I want but it needs some work. However, it is also pretty cheap which may or may not make the repairs needed worth it. This is where you guys come in. I need to know whether or not it would be a good idea for me to buy this car and take into consideration that I'm most likely going to replace many parts with performance parts anyway. Here's the post:<P>345 000 KM (200 000 miles) Highway.<BR>Black, V6, 5 speed, ABS, cruise, etc.<BR>Good body but a little surface rust on the bottom of driver door and around windows.<BR>Missing front spoiler. Needs front rotor (actual ones are working but probably warped). Tear in driver seat and rear seats (dog sitting in the rear...). Tires are shot. Struts still working but I could see they are leaking. Idle climb in traffic (TPS?). Sticking rear calipers when using handbrake. Key broken in hatch. Now any key could open it (useful!!!). Need sway bar bushing in the rear. Crack in windshield.<BR>Included is a new head gasket/seal set from mazda (cost me $400 canadian). I was thinking I was needind a head job but that was the timing belt that had slipped one tooth.<P>BTW, he's priced the car at $1500 CAN. Which is a good deal as far as I can see even with the repairs needed.<P>Now, I've spoken to my fiance's father who is a master mechanic and he tells me that most of the repairs needed are simply normal wear&tear kinda damage. The milieage is a definite concern but since I was planning on changing the engine anyway I'm not sure that it matters all that much(thoughts?).<P>I'm also looking for help in choosing parts and brands as I go on modifying the car if I buy it as well as help in maybe finding a KL-ZE or is possible an even better engine.<P>Thx guys, and plz feel free to express any thoughts but mostly I just wanna know whether or not buying this car is a good idea. Thx again.<BR><P>------------------<BR>Jesse Turner<BR>aka AlphaBitz<BR>MX-3 Dreamer<BR>Kanata, Ontario, Canada
AlphaBitz

Post by AlphaBitz »

Do any Moderators wanna pass along any thoughts?<P>------------------<BR>Jesse Turner<BR>aka AlphaBitz<BR>MX-3 Dreamer<BR>Kanata, Ontario, Canada
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

200,000 miles on a car is a lot, esp for an mx-3. I'd be weary on buying a car with that many miles. Just prepare on replacing the motor and tranny sometime.<BR><P>------------------<BR>Barry Clark<BR><I><B>Moderator</B></I><BR>1995 Mazda Mx-3 RS<BR>Chaste White<BR><A HREF="http://www.barrykclark.com" TARGET=_blank>barrykclark.com</A> <BR> barrykclark@hotmail.com
AlphaBitz

Post by AlphaBitz »

Thanx.. And yeah, I was planning on changing the engine and tranny eventually anyway so I was thinking it's good for my purposes?<P>------------------<BR>Jesse Turner<BR>aka AlphaBitz<BR>MX-3 Dreamer<BR>Kanata, Ontario, Canada
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Sounds good if you're gonna swap. ~$1k USD is a decent price. <P>As far as learning about turbos: get the book "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell from <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com" TARGET=_blank>www.amazon.com</A> . Awesome book. You can find compressor maps for Garret turbos at <A HREF="http://www.turbonetics.com" TARGET=_blank>www.turbonetics.com</A> after you've read that book a few times.<P>The 2.7L would be a 2.5L stroked out by either paeco or interprep. <A HREF="http://www.paeco.com" TARGET=_blank>www.paeco.com</A> or <A HREF="http://www.interpreptuning.com" TARGET=_blank>www.interpreptuning.com</A> <P>Hope this helps.
David Coleman
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Evil G:<BR><B>T66 turbo (or maybe twin 3000GT turbos) </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Why would you want to put two 9b's on a 2.7L race KL? A T66 spooled by some NOS would be a much better choice for high pressure ratios like you'd have to run to be in the 10's. Oh yeah, there is no Veilside body kit for MX-3's...<P>------------------<BR>David Coleman- <B><I>Moderator</B></I><BR><A HREF="http://www.PinkMX-3.com" TARGET=_blank>1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition</A><BR><B><I>Why get clear tail lights when only Geo Metros are gonna see them?</I></B>
David Coleman
AlphaBitz

Post by AlphaBitz »

Thanks a bunch for the input guys any more input you have would also be appreciated and also any further "Dream MX-3's".<P>Now all I have to do is try to scrounge up the cash for the car. =P<P>------------------<BR>Jesse Turner<BR>aka AlphaBitz<BR>MX-3 Dreamer<BR>Kanata, Ontario, Canada
DiGiTaL

Post by DiGiTaL »

I went to Amazon to check that book out , Maximum Boost. EVERY single review on the front page said that the author was misleading and he didn't really know his stuff. Thay said that there were a lot of false statements made by the author. Did you find this true also ?
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

I recommend the book as a good primer for setting up a turbocharger system. I will look at the comments on those reviews when I get a chance, but as in all literature, it is skewed one way or another. That's why you diversify your research to other books. There are some good other turbo/sc books on amazon.com that would help diversify your research. I know Bell pushes his Aerodyne and VTN, because it's his book and it's like a free advertisement for his turbo company. But otherwise it explains alot and will be very helpful.<P>------------------<BR>David Coleman- <B><I>Moderator</B></I><BR><A HREF="http://www.PinkMX-3.com" TARGET=_blank>1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition</A><BR><B><I>Why get clear tail lights when only Geo Metros are gonna see them?</I></B>
David Coleman

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”