woofer enclosures

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Becks

woofer enclosures

Post by Becks »

Ok. I have the money to totally upgrade my system. I think im gonna go with 2 12'' or 10'' infinity subs. But what i want to know is if there is any advantage of sealed boxes over bandpass. Some of my friends have the dual 12'' bandpass box with plexiglass in front and the subs face eachother. I just want to know whether to go with sealed or bandpass.<P>I also need to know a powerful amp that will make these subs sound good.
spllogics

Re: woofer enclosures

Post by spllogics »

u going for compitition go with sealed, if u want just regular listing get the bandpass
Da_Wiggy

Post by Da_Wiggy »

ummm that last post is incorect. Generally sealed boxes are used in sound quality aplications and are great if you don't have much room to work with. Ported or vented boxes will be louder but will sacrifice sq (sound quality), and can be several times larger than sealed boxes. I have never ever heard a bandpass box sound better than a properly built sealed or ported box. Most bandpass boxes are really crappy pre-fabricated boxes that not made for your sub.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Da_Wiggy:<BR><STRONG>ummm that last post is incorect. Generally sealed boxes are used in sound quality aplications and are great if you don't have much room to work with. Ported or vented boxes will be louder but will sacrifice sq (sound quality), and can be several times larger than sealed boxes. I have never ever heard a bandpass box sound better than a properly built sealed or ported box. Most bandpass boxes are really crappy pre-fabricated boxes that not made for your sub.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>On the right track. I agree with the part about losing SQ with the ported box, but the reason they made bandpass is because it's got better SQ than ported and louder than sealed. You can get a bandpass to meet your subs specs also. Make sure you research your sub before you deside on an enclosure. Some can't be run in ported, some can't be run in a sealed.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
spllogics

Post by spllogics »

how am i incorrect when he asked sealed or bandpass? i dont thnk he asked about ported. but anyway , i would still choose sealed over ported anyday .
codyhoover

Post by codyhoover »

if your going with infinity perfects they are built for sealed boxes. they will work it ported or bandpass but they sound like a--.
-Cody
Green '92 GS
140db on 1 12"
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

I think he was refering to sound competitions being about SPL rather than SQ. There isn't alot that can determine SQ, and there are too many factors involved. Although if your car rattles like a snake in convulsions, you won't get too high of a score :)<p>[ March 11, 2002: Message edited by: VizualXTC ]
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Da_Wiggy

Post by Da_Wiggy »

sorry for the mix up but when you said competition I assumed you meant SPL since most people don't compete for sq. With regards to which box is the best, In the end it all boils down to personal preference and your listening style.
spllogics

Post by spllogics »

np

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”