Running 2 4 awg and 1 8awg through firewall

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
BumpNGlow

Running 2 4 awg and 1 8awg through firewall

Post by BumpNGlow »

I really don't want to drill, but I know its going to be near impossible to get it through any other way. If I do drill, where should I drill at? The wire is already on the driver's side so I don't want to rerun it.... Someone posted once, telling me to run through the steering column. I don't know much about how this would effect the steering, but its definately one thing I don't wanna f--- up! Any input?
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
loudsubz

Re: Running 2 4 awg and 1 8awg through firewall

Post by loudsubz »

Why didn't you just run 1/0 awg wire? Makes it much simpler.
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

...but MUCH more costly!
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
loudsubz

Post by loudsubz »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BumpNGlow:<BR><STRONG>...but MUCH more costly!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>How do you figure that?<P>Also if you went with 1/0 welding cable its like $2 a foot.
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

either way -- I already purchased the wire.... its already ran -- can ya help me w/ the problem at hand?
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

loudsubz

Post by loudsubz »

Just drill a hole in the firewall for a grommet. Drill maybe 2 holes. Have 1 with 1 4awg, and 1 with a 4awg and 8 awg. Drill in a spot where there ins't much on the firewall onboth sides and you will be fine.
MX-3 Extreme

Post by MX-3 Extreme »

Keep in mind that if you are running two different size cables you may run into resistance problems which can create ground loops or noise problems. Just make sure that you ground cables are exactly the same size as the power at least.<P>Killer MX3<BR>First class MECP<BR>Ontario Government automotive electronic tech
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

I know, man, I am not new to the stereo industry.... I was just hoping that someone knew at specific place on MX-3s that will work. I am always dimid when drilling anywhere in my car...
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

I found the hole I need. Its the factory hole. Its VERY big and I could probably fit 3-4 4 awg wires through it. To anyone else who is running wires.... use this -- dont drill, its plenty big... I will have pictures up some time soon and I will link you guys to my car when I get the sub and amp in
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

Gruneun

Post by Gruneun »

I ran an 8-gauge wire through an existing rubber plug in the firewall. I assume it was there for a reason, but wasn't being utilized on my car. I centered the hole, but if it was off-center you could probably get a couple 4's, too.<P>I popped the plug out, drilled a hole, pushed the wire through, and plugged it back in. It's water-tight and the cable came out about a foot over my feet. It was easier to find the plug from the engine area, as it was almost invisible from the inside, requiring my head to be under the steering wheel. For laughs, picture the rest of me face-up, sticking out the door). I'll try to snap a pic with a digicam to give a better idea of location tomorrow.
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

well why do you want to run 2 wires through the fire wall?why not just get a dis.block and run it from there?
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NEVER ENUFF CUSTOMS:<BR><STRONG>well why do you want to run 2 wires through the fire wall?why not just get a dis.block and run it from there?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>0awg wire is not cheap... I can get 2 4awg 2 8 awg wire is almost as cheap as 0awg.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”