2 amps instead of 1 big one

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
DavePostle

2 amps instead of 1 big one

Post by DavePostle »

I have 2 12" pheonix XMAX subs that can handle 1200 watts each but run best at 500 each... would it be better for me to buy 2 500's rather then one like 1200 to power them... and is that hard or costly
loudsubz

Re: 2 amps instead of 1 big one

Post by loudsubz »

Its gonna be the same thing. You wont gain/loos anything but trying to get 2 amps putting out the same power to a DVC sub is kinda hard to do.
VizualXTC

Re: 2 amps instead of 1 big one

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loudsubz:<BR><STRONG>Its gonna be the same thing. You wont gain/loos anything but trying to get 2 amps putting out the same power to a DVC sub is kinda hard to do.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree, go with one amp for your subs. Besides the 2 amps putting out different powers, they also put out different sound. You would have to use a splitter off your deck, and that doesn't usually work to well. There is a THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) on EVERY amp you buy, and I guarentee no two amps have the same THD. If you have one amp, the THD will be the same so the subs will get the same power and same THD. Just remember to get the lowest possible THD becuz your deck has THD, your wires have THD, your amp has THD, and your subs have THD. Unlike other applications, THD does add up. I believe under .1% THD is undetectable by the humans, but if you have even one component that hits that mark, your system isn't as good as it could be. <P>One thing to remember: cheap wires = cheap system.<P>Hope this helps.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”