Car System

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Becks

Car System

Post by Becks »

I need a system for my Probe. I think I'm gonna go with JL Audio Subs but i know nothing about car audio. I need to know what are good brands for amps and head units. And are tweeters necessary? Please help me!
VizualXTC

Re: Car System

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Becks:<BR><STRONG>I need a system for my Probe. I think I'm gonna go with JL Audio Subs but i know nothing about car audio. I need to know what are good brands for amps and head units. And are tweeters necessary? Please help me!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, it's all up to personal opinion. Of course if you're lookin for QUALITY, you should stay away from names like Pyramid, Legacy, Koss, etc. and any "generic" names. Personally I don't like the JL subs, but on this board I am definatly in the minority on that one. Teweeters are for crisp highs. If you like to hear that high piched sound the car next to you makes when it drives by, then a good set of tweeters are nessisary. If you find a good 3-Way speaker, seperate tweets don't need to be installed. <P>The names I would suggest for amps would be, Planet Audio, Kenwood, Orion, RF, and MTX. Head Unit, Kenwood, Pioneer, Panisonic, or JVC. Subs, I would suggest, Orion MCCA, Pioneer VCCS Pro, Kenwood dB+, MTX8000, and I'm running 2 12" Soundstream Rubicons. But like I said, it's what YOU like.<p>[ December 09, 2001: Message edited by: VizualXTC ]
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Becks

Post by Becks »

Yea that helped thanks. I just found out that it makes a difference what boxes your subs are in. Ive heard of bandpass and enclosed but once again i know nuthin. Which is better? My A.I.M. screen name is Layzboy152
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

Post by -=deathtrap-mx3=- »

for a box:<BR> ported/vented- lots of SPL(Sound Pressure Level). these boxes will hit hard, but lack SQ(Sound Quality). ported boxes are tuned so that at say 30hz, your box sounds the best, but at freqs dirrerent than that, it won't have the same SQ<P> sealed- the best for SQ. still hit hard, bat no matter what freq. it's playing at, it'll still be clear<P> bandpass- i don't know why people have them really. they move alot of air around and sound fairly loud. the problem is that bandpasses can hurt ur sub, if it's not the perfect size ur sub requires. you're subs most likely won't be able to drop as low as they can. i've always seen the subs flutter at low freqs.<P>it's all a matter of personal preference, again. most subs are designed for certain encolsures though. goodluck
Looking for a 94+GS for KL-ZE fun :)
02 Protege DX Retired
93 MX-3 RS Gone But Not Forgotten
loudsubz

Post by loudsubz »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -=deathtrap-mx3=-:<BR><STRONG>for a box:<BR> ported/vented- lots of SPL(Sound Pressure Level). these boxes will hit hard, but lack SQ(Sound Quality). ported boxes are tuned so that at say 30hz, your box sounds the best, but at freqs dirrerent than that, it won't have the same SQ<P> sealed- the best for SQ. still hit hard, bat no matter what freq. it's playing at, it'll still be clear<P> bandpass- i don't know why people have them really. they move alot of air around and sound fairly loud. the problem is that bandpasses can hurt ur sub, if it's not the perfect size ur sub requires. you're subs most likely won't be able to drop as low as they can. i've always seen the subs flutter at low freqs.<P>it's all a matter of personal preference, again. most subs are designed for certain encolsures though. goodluck</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What was said here basically sums it up, although ported boxes can have just as good SQ and often sometimes better than sealed subs. A ported box that is tuned real low, and has a large volume will have the bests oundign bass that is smoothest through all the freqeuencies.<P>Also with Sealed, the box size depends how well the sub will perform. A small box usualy means less low end, and more middle high end extenison, so box size is key.<P>Bandpass, unless designed right usualy are one note wonders where they only play a band of frequencies loud and the rest is not that great. The way you hurt your sub in a bandpass is if alot of distortion is going through the subs an dyou dotnnotice it because it is in the bandpass box.
codene

Post by codene »

i got 2 JL 12WO in a jl dual reflex bandpass designed for w3s. they rock hard and its the best system i ever had.
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/mail_cory_here" TARGET=_blank>Codenes Car</A>

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”