2 Questions in 1 - Box size too large / scored good deal

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
NeedNewCar

2 Questions in 1 - Box size too large / scored good deal

Post by NeedNewCar »

ok first part, my friend sold me 2 10 inch treminator (MTX) subs in a box that has 4 aeroports for 100 bucks. well i crashed my maro the day before i was gonna get an amp so i hadnt tried em out. i called in a sick day at school and was really boored so i brought the box up and hooked up one of the subs to my comp :( is this cause there hooked up to my comp and not a car? i have them on cambridge soundworks 5.1 digital speakers w/ sub. also is the box going to be too large? its about a foot and a half wide total, almost 2 feet tall, and 3 feet long. thanks
Esper

Re: 2 Questions in 1 - Box size too large / scored good deal

Post by Esper »

probably the reason they pop is b/c you aren't giving them enough power through the computer. lack of amplification is actually the main reason why speakers distort when you turn them up loud. if you have a pretty weak amp the signal it gives out when you turn it up gets more and more degraded, thus causing distorted sound to come out of the speakers. of course, if you have bad speakers they can only take so much power. its very useful to match the power of your amps to the recommended wattage of the speakers.
Dude.
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

I have 2 JL audio speakers (10W-1) that I bought from a friend. When they were in his box (large ported box), they would pop. I bought them because they were practically new (bought, used very little, then stored). I built a sealed box using the recommended dimensions for those specific speakers. Guess what....the DO NOT pop now.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

I would agree with the "not enuff power" theory. I would take it to your car and run an amp to it. If it doesn't fix the prob, then look at the specifics for the box. As Esper was saying, if you don't run enuff power to your subs it will blow them (actually 90% of subs are blown by running too little power to them) So I would get the right setup for the subs.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”