Amp Installation

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
cemcintosh

Amp Installation

Post by cemcintosh »

Ok, if anyone can help me i woudl greatly appreciate it. How do i connect an amp to the battery terminal? I need to know how to get the wires from the battery back into the cabin of the car. I can wire everything else, and have everything i need, just need to get the power from the battery and I'm all set. so if you could please email me at cemcintosh@hotmail.com I would really appreciate it.
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

Re: Amp Installation

Post by -=deathtrap-mx3=- »

ok, all you need is a drill. drill a hole into your firewall and then(this isn't a must, but a good thing to do) get a gromet(a little rubber piece that will line it. that way ur power cable won't grind through the coating and start a fire. just string ur pwr cable from the battery to the cabin through the hole. if you need anything else answered just email me at: atomicbanana@hotmail.com<P>------------------<BR>93 MX-3
Looking for a 94+GS for KL-ZE fun :)
02 Protege DX Retired
93 MX-3 RS Gone But Not Forgotten
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

Post by -=deathtrap-mx3=- »

oh, to get the wire on the terminal, you need a little washer-type metal end on your power cable. radioshack carries them. then just take the terminal off and place the line in.<P>------------------<BR>93 MX-3
Looking for a 94+GS for KL-ZE fun :)
02 Protege DX Retired
93 MX-3 RS Gone But Not Forgotten
nolamx3

Post by nolamx3 »

before you go drilling holes look on your firewall from the engine compartment. There should be a rubber gromet about 4-5 inches down. Remove it drill a hole in it and thread your wire through the gromet and reinstall.
nolamx3

Post by nolamx3 »

I forgot use a coat hanger through the hole to locate it under the dash, there is already i slit in the insulation. Disconect the battery so you don't short anything with the hanger.<BR>
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Remember to put a fuse in the engine compartment. There should be about 12" of wire from the battery to the fuse. Otherwise you will destroy your amp if you get a surge of power.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Spetznaz

Post by Spetznaz »

You can run the power cable through your fire wall by using the pre-existing holes. And yes, you should have your fuse within 12" of your battery. It's not a must(but recommended) for non-comp systems, but it looks good, makes it easier to change fuses and if you decide to go comp, it's already done.
Suspension Techniques lowering kit, front and rear strut braces, Ractive cold air intake, 16" wheels with 215/40's, full cat back custom Tanabe Racing Medallion exhaust. Custom Competion stereo, full interior purple neon lighting.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”