Should we be nicer to newbies?

Off-Topic Discussions
mx3man83

Should we be nicer to newbies?

Post by mx3man83 »

The last two days i got to thinking...dang mx-3.com is pretty harsh on people who are new to the mx-3 world and website!!! *situation that got me thinking about this*...I was driving home from work and this dude pulled up next to me in a red GS and was like "bad A$$ car!", so to make a long story short we pulled over and looked at each other's cars and i asked him if he had gone to mx-3.com and checked out the forums...he had no idea what i was talking about....SO i began to think...this is some guy who just got his mx-3, he's excited about it, and i bet he's going to go home and post how he can make his car go faster or something like that! Then everyone is going to yell at him and tell him to search and crap like that...well is that fair?? Why can't we just answer it and maybe SUGGEST the search function..???
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
azmtbkr81

Re: Should we be nicer to newbies?

Post by azmtbkr81 »

I agree, I think that if you are going to tell someone just to search you just shouldn't post. I tell newbies all the time about exhausts, intakes, etc... it takes two seconds and gives everyone who comes to the board a warm fuzzy feeling. :D <p>By the way mx3man83, I am cruising down to Tucson tommorow and was thinking about checking out some junkyards down there for parts and stuff, do you have any suggestions of where to go? You are welcome to come with if you want, I'm thinking about doing it Saturday if I don't have too much family stuff to do.
:p
'94 Blaze Red RS<P>I may not have a lot of horsepower but I know how to use it!
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

search damnit,,, :D
i'll try to be nicer, but that just how the world is,, :D
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by azmtbkr81:
By the way mx3man83, I am cruising down to Tucson tommorow and was thinking about checking out some junkyards down there for parts and stuff, do you have any suggestions of where to go? You are welcome to come with if you want, I'm thinking about doing it Saturday if I don't have too much family stuff to do.
:p
<hr></blockquote><p>searching around in junkyards suck. man i couldn't find ANYTHING i could use except for an rx7 fuel pump....FOR $150!!! arhh
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

i totally agree man, i am in many hot rod/domestic bboards, and they're never mean to newbies and even old member they just patiently answer questions and never yell at anyone to search or being stupid not searching or humiliating newcomers as some members on this board do(they know who they are)
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
polak_gino

Post by polak_gino »

ya i agree, cuz some ppl on this board are really harsh. It just takes a minute to answer a question, and if you dont wanna answer, dont answer at all. We dont need to see any stupid comments about "have you done a search?" or stuff like that. These ppl prolly just got their car and are really excited about it. I think they would rather talk to ppl about it, then just look at a bunch of old posts.<p>just my opinion :shrug:
> Toronto MX-3 Club
> My Car Audio Install
> ProMazda.com

Metalic Green '92 GS 5-Speed
Manach

Post by Manach »

Well, I must say, I always try to point at least in one direction to look..<p>The newbie need to participate too.. We are almost all custom, with no (Or almost no) aftermarket support. The new guys must at least proove he wishes to search, and to learn, not to be giving everything in his mouth in one shot..<p>When I first come in.. I read a lots of post to understand everything.. before I even own the car.. that's what made me participate..<p>In real life story, that's another thing.. I try to discuss, and try to clarify stuff with someone rather new.. My family is almost all into Muscle car.. In a region of about 100,000 persons, with 300 members, and 5hours away of the biggest city.. I know what they did to be there, and I try to do the same. We support each another in real life..<p>Now, if somebody ask if something is doable.. I'll answer to his question.. but if he is too general.. Aka 'I wanna be fast, tell me what to do!' I'll be on my guard..<p>[ April 18, 2003: Message edited by: Manach ]</p>
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

since when is notifying someone that the info they need is available to the via the search feature mean? :shrug:
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i second the above statement. i have NO problems answering a specific question or one a search wouldn't be the best idea. EX: "which is better.....?" is an opinion based question and opinions change so a search might not be the thing to do. i will still let them know there is a search function for future reference. if it is a broad question..."my car is slow, how do i make it faster" and they are a newbie i will give them basic ideas and let them search. what gets me is that some people that ask these questions have 100+ posts meaning they've been around a bit. what's up with that?<p>i don't mind helping people out with cars. what i'm starting to realize is that SOME of the newbies are coming here demanding this/that. they are childish and very rude. that's not a good way to start of IMO. they are know-it-alls and expect everything given to them. it's not all of us "veterens" that are bad :D people need to lighten up in general.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mx3chicago:
ok budy mr know it all and 2 its not on da PCV in on the right side of it a vacum tube that goesinto the intake tubing my brain less friend and that send oil fumes into your intake body n guess what thats DIRTY air you are mixing with clean air HMMMMMMMMMMm what weirdo would breath dirty air? im guessing you well then thank you n sit down cause u aint got jack didly craps oh n i got a KLZE on da way 2K miles on it i got it dtr8 from a japan driver not no companys or dealers n i payed 1/100 of what you would of payed at a impoirt shop<hr></blockquote><p>When they post stuff like that ashley, i understand where you are coming from....but normally they are just like "what can i do to make my car faster!!?", those kinds of things...I think it would be nice and would give us mx-3 drivers a better name if we would just give a few suggestions, and suggest the search function. I personally love the search function. I've spend hours just looking through old posts and learning a great deal of information. On the other hand, i like to post and try to get some personal connection as well.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

Ok here is my two cent's on this situation. I have no problem helping a newbie or a vet for that matter. The problem is that they will post a question that was just asked two or three post down. I belive they should look first, I mean it showes post from the last ten days. If they do not see it then well I can see asking. I woulnd'nt want to take a long time searching for a question ethier. Newbies should get some slack but they must also be told and taught the ruls of this board.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i dont mind helping newbies.
i got an email from one the other day...
told him before asking a question use the search function.....
but i will give on example...
think the guys name is jap something....
he did not like the answers that people gave him\ & his resoponse was noone on the ubb know what we are talking about....
i know more about cars in general & performance up grades from the mx-3 ubb....most hondaboys/mitu kids are total aZZholes...
if the person is repectful & ask a good question i wont be an azz........<p>the one thing i think most new people do is dont go through the main page & can use a google search
jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

I get annoyed by the newbies that ask 1 dumb question and then leave forever. Questions like, whats my tire size, or lug pattern? I think its warrented to tell them to do a search, the answers are there. You can still be nice in telling someone to do a search by telling them how to do it.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

i agree about n00b harshness, i've repeated myself many times, so what i do, cut and paste :D <p>Easy and friendly :D <p>also, there shouldnt be anything wrong with posting a question, why bring up a year-old-post? Im sure theres new news, some updates info to talk about sicne the last post, people dont always do everything the same everytiem someone goes the same job, someone may find a new thing here, a new way to do something there...<p>One thing that pisses me off is that i wanna do a KLZE swap, i asked about what i needed to do different when putting a 94-96 KLZE in my 92-93GS, (this was quite a few months ago), and i believe it David Coleman told me to read the V6 FAQ, and theres nothing in there, the only post i see is the FAQ: 2.5L KL engine swap info in the last post section....
Image<p>I'm planning a KLZE swap in the next month or two and i need to know this, but how do i find the info if im affraid to post the question cause people just give me the flamming run-around<p>[ April 18, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</p>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

This is in response to Ashley and Shaun's posts. Havn't you ever gotten in a fight with your girlfriends, and you say something you think is harmless, but it hurts her. Then you ask her "What's wrong? I only said...." and then she gives you the "It's not WHAT you said, it's HOW you said it." That goes for this board as well. There is a HUGE difference between "Well, there are many ways to get your car faster. Actually too many to list in this thread, but if you want to search the site, there is a lot of useful information. The search function is on the top right of the screen" and "Um...maybe if you took the time to search you could find that out." See the difference? Most people will use the latter because they get sick of reading the same questions over and over. Well, guess what. I get sick of reading them also. But as long as we have sport compact racing, we will have newbies that wanna know more. Dave usually will just post "search" That is unacceptable (IMO) because it's still condescending. It still has the "oh my god, look it up yourself" tone to it. If you read my posts, I often suggest the search function, but I do it in a tactful manner. I will give them the information that I know and then let them know where to find the rest. I understand you guys get sick of helping the newbies, but then why do you come to this board? I rarely see Ashley, Boosted, Dave, and other veterans post questions. You guys already know a lot about our car. You come to this board to post replies to questions, then you get mad when you have to answer them. Ashley, I have to admit I have never seen you give a rude reply to a newbie. Shaun, you have. Then you get newbies that come in and see how the vetrans post and then start posting that way. Hatred is addicting. I hate to say it, but it's easier to be rude than to be nice. It even feels good to be rude sometimes, and rarely feels good to be nice. That's the sh!ts. It really is. But nobody likes to be the only a--hole in the place. If you walk into a room full of happy people you're not gunna just punch a stranger in the face, but if you walked into a room that a fight was going on, you sure would. Let's make this a happy place, and not a fight. It makes me sick to my stomach that we can have a place based upon the love of something, and then start fights and insult each other. We're all the same when we come here. Ashley is no better than Me. I'm no better than Dave. Dave is no better than Kev. Kev is no better than Jarid. Jarid is no better than Shaun. Get it? We all come here because we love our cars. Not because we want to start static. <p>Sorry to go on about this, but I am going thru a terrible breakup and I am trying to keep a positive attitude about life. I just wish for one moment love could prevail over hatred. I want to thank the friends that have helped me thru the toughest time I have ever faced, and that have brought me back from the ledge on a few occasions. These friends love me. I love each and every one of you. Let's try and make this a community like Jeff set out to make. I'm sure that if he knew we'd all be fighting, he would never have made it. Let's keep the love alive and get passed our petty differenced, be they the fact the same question gets posted over and over, or that one person's opinion is different than your own. Again, I'm sorry about rambling, I just need to let you all know how I feel. Thanks for taking the time to read.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage

Return to “Off-Topic”