muffler pipe

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
rayrrod

muffler pipe

Post by rayrrod »

my muffler pipe was rusted. I took it to the muffler shop. They charged me $45 to install a new pipe, from the muffler to the resonce?. They installed a 2 1/4 pipe instead of the normal 1 3/4 one. Have a 4 cyl RS<BR>Question: How will this affect my performance? going to a larger pipe? Backpressure? <BR>Of course it makes less noise, since the rusted hole is no longer there. Have a yokonami muffler.<BR>thanks
dam2009

Re: muffler pipe

Post by dam2009 »

I think they really wanted you to save some money since they saved your resonator and welded and "resonator back exhaust system :) " you won't gain too many hp out of it, but hey, what do you want for $50 . [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
rayrrod

Post by rayrrod »

What is the resonator for? If i remove it will it still pass inspection? Will it sound louder? Will it change the cars permormance or just change the sound? They told me they could also replace the resonator with 2 1/4 pipe. They would weld the pipe from the Cat to the muffler. I was thinking of replacing the Cat with a high performance i saw posted ( cost $99)at <A HREF="http://www.xtremeflow.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.xtremeflow.com/</A> <BR>They told me to wait till my present Cat goes bad.
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

When I first got my mx3, it had the stock exhaust, but it was rusted to hell. It sounded nice though. But I put on 2.25" piping from the cat back and welded on a straight thru muffler. It was loud, set off alarms and stuff. But after a while it was too loud so I had a resonator put on, that quieted it down pretty well.
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”