Main 80 amp fuse

Other - General Mazda Discussions
MX3-Freak

Main 80 amp fuse

Post by MX3-Freak »

Well, I went to start my car today, and guess what happened; NOTHING! Nothing at all. Thinking it was a completely dead battery I attempted a jump start - still absolutely nothing (also tried to push start before that...you know the outcome already). Quite puzzled , I opened the fusebox up in the engine compartment and found the main 80amper was blown.

SO, I headed down to the auto parts store and bought a universal 80 amp fuse to install. Soon as I did, all power was restored, and it fired up as usual. :2thumbsup:

BUT! This leaves me with the question why did it blow, and if it is going to do it again anytime soon. Im not sure how many people have looked at the main fuse, but this mofo is a monster. Ive seen 120volt wire smaller gauge. Not to menion it had to bolts holding it in place.

SO, what are you best guesses? What in hell would make a fuse like this blow suddenly (the car ran flawlessly on sunday, and I havent started it since)? You know what they say, the best cure is prevention, and I would really like to prevent this from happening again.

Thanks,
Frank
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
Typhoonk

Re: Main 80 amp fuse

Post by Typhoonk »

If you had an alarm or remote starter installed, and the ignition or +12 volt constant shorted on the chassis or the +12 starter wire shorted. Then it would blow.
or if your +12 wire on the alternator is loose and touch the alternator chassis it would blow to.
or it was just a fluke and the fuse was old.
I keep one in my car just in case.
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

I hoping it was a fluke...I have anything to do with electricity in a car. :mad:

Do you also keep a 10mm socket and extenion in you car? You have to remove the damn coolant resivor to get to the fuse bolt.
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
Split Sixer

Post by Split Sixer »

lol yea i replaced mine awhile ago, never realized it was bolted in and for awhile i was confused to as why all the other pulled right out but the 80amp wouldn't. :roll:
Splixer

Return to “General Mazda”