possible RX-7 purchase

Other - General Mazda Discussions
2.5mx3

possible RX-7 purchase

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Hey all,<p>I drove to NJ on Monday to see a 1995 RX-7 that I found for sale. It's beautiful - metallic silver Touring Edition, only 64K miles, interior and exterior in excellent shape and the engine and turbos run like new. It looks like the previous owner had a lot of the plumbing replaced because most of the hoses look brand new. I've been reading as much as I can about the rotary and what to look for and this RX-7 seems to test okay. Of course, I'm still learning about this engine, and the engine bay looks very alien to me. :)
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
Sonicxtacy02

Re: possible RX-7 purchase

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

i'd say go for it.. IF you dont mind putting in alot of wrench work yourself. the warranty is good and all but i'm sure you're planning to keep the car for more than 2 years and the late gen rx-7's will eat a BIG whole for maintence throughout its life. 17000 is a pretty good deal for one, especially since they are so rare around here. Aside from the insurance costs, i think the only reason NOT to buy it would be if your not capable of learning how to fix it yourself. You could get a TON of information on rotary repairs from rx-7 forums but ultimately you have to put in the time to do it. Good luck hank!
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Thanks Shaun. I really am new to the rotary engine, but I'm sure most people don't know a lot about it when they buy their first RX-7. If I buy it, I plan on maintaining it just like my MX-3.<p>Another consideration is my girlfriend. She's not at all pleased that I might be buying another sporty car. LOL She's giving me that "Well, do what you want" routine, but of course she's really saying "If you buy that car, you'll be sleeping in it". ;) <p>Women...
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

I think you should think twice. yes the rx7 3rd gen is an awesome car but it is a money pit. I think patience is the key and when the new rx7 comes out in two years then you might be better off waiting. <p>I myself wanted a 3rd gen but i chose to wait for the 280 n/a one due out 2006. trust me it is worth the wait.<p>plus i would be carefull with used car warrenties.
It is a big scam cause there is tons of fine print that can void the warrenty. ie. oil change receipts. unless it is factory warrentied then I woundn't even waste the extra money.<p>hope this helps
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

I'm definitely considering everything you've said. The RX-7 can be a money pit, and it's got major reliability issues. The warranty seems to be pretty good (it's through a Nissan dealership), and I got a similar one with my MX six years ago - which did pay for several repairs.<p>As for the new RX-7, I'd love to look into it, but how much will they be? I think the 3rd Gens were somewhere around $35K when they first came out. I imagine the 4th Gen prices will be through the roof, not to mention that they'll be highly sought-after which will jack the price up even more. Plus, that's more than 3 years down the road. I'm not sure I'm willing to wait quite that long, but we'll see.
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

If I had the money, I would. It might have some reliability issues but you have the mx-3 which you know more about and will most likely be able to keep running. The only way I would sell my mx-3 would be if I was able to buy a 3rd gen rx-7, or a 2nd gen mr-2. Just my opinion though. :shrug:
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

That's too expensive. If they're asking $17k offer less. If you've already negotiated and $17k is as low as they'll go, I'd pass.<p>Is this from a dealer or private party? If it's from a dealer, find out where the car came from and if they made any repairs, did any service, etc. since they got it. If it's from a private party, see what service records they have. Also, if it was serviced at a local dealer the dealer can pull up everything they did to the car by the VIN.<p>If you absolutely have to have it, and it's your favorite color, trim level, etc., and you have proof that it was immaculately maintained, then I would go $17k.
Rushton

Post by Rushton »

look into it around your city and see if anyone knows how to work on them, there really are'nt to many people that know how to properly work on rotary engines, I had a 2nd gen rx7, and it went through 3 mechanics within 2 weeks, and not one of them had a clue how to fix it, and they all said they could, I've got a friend with a 3rd gen rx7 that had to have his engine sent a few hundred miles away to get it fixed. there definately awesome cars, and very fun to drive, just make sure you know what your getting yourself into.
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

My friend has one and he owns the shop A-spec here in Toronto and his 3rd gen has been sitting on the hoist for almost 2 years now. The problem with these motors is they pop very easily but if you baby it and don't race all the time you should be ok. I also think that the 94+ 3rd gens are more reliable then the 93s.
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Yeah guys, I've been trying to find shops locally that knows how to work on rotarys, but so far I've had no success. I'm also trying to look into finding clubs that offer tech seminars for this engine. I know some RX-7 clubs around the country do this, but I haven't had any success locally.<p>Still up in the air. I'm trying to save for a house right now, so this might not be the most practical purchase. ;) We shall see!
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i say go for it you only live once.......
i was researching the rotory & the one thing people always say because of the engine vibration.....to wire tie down some of the hoses....when i was @ the mazda dealer ship a few years ago the mechanic told me the main problem with the rotory is is a car that needs to be driven...not i need to go to the store to get a gallon of milk kinda car.....the turbo needs time to warm up & cool down......but that all i need to know.......<p>
hank dont forget to call me if yah need a home.....the interest rates are goin up.....<p>also check www.hud.org for fha forclosures.......you can get newer homes on there too ........the list comes out every friday...between 11am-3pm.......& u need a realestate agent to purchase a hud home
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
jordan69

Post by jordan69 »

**** Maintenance Schedule Suggestions ****
Engine Oil -- Replace every 3,000 miles or earlier
Oil Filter -- Replace with oil change
Drive Belts -- Inspect every oil change: Replace as needed
Turbo Boost Check -- Inspect every 12 months
Stock Air Filter -- Inspect every oil change: Replace every 30,000 miles
Cone Air Filter -- Clean and Oil every 15,000 miles
Spark Plugs -- Replace at 15,000 miles MAXIMUM : I do mine at every other oil change
Spark Plug wires -- Inspect every 15,000 miles: Replace if needed
Cooling System -- Inspect every 15,000 miles for leaks
Engine Coolant -- Replace/Flush every year
Fuel Filter -- Replace every 30,000 miles or once a year
Fuel Lines -- Inspect every 15,000 miles
Oil Level Warning System -- Inspect every year
Coolant Level Warning System -- Inspect every year
Brake Hoses and Connections -- Inspect every 15,000 miles
Brake Fluid -- Inspect every oil change: Replace/Flush every year
Parking Brake -- Inspect every 15,000 miles
Disc Brakes -- Inspect every 15,000 miles
Power Steering Fluid and Lines -- Inspect every 15,000 miles
Manual Transmission oil -- Replace every 30,000 miles
Automatic Transmission Fluid -- Replace every 30,000 miles <p>Thats the list of maintenance things to do to an rx7 if you want to keep it running in tip top shape from [url=http://www.fc3s.org,]www.fc3s.org,[/url] on these cars you need to change the spark plugs and wires alot more often than other cars, and if you want the ultimate in reliability, go to a specialty shop and get them to install 3mm APEXi seals on the rotor.
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a White guy, the best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Hey, thanks for the tips.<p>I'm still not sure about this! I got the hold extended until next week, but the guy wants to move this thing! They have had so many offers for this RX-7. In fact, while I was there on Monday talking to the GM, he got a call about it. And he said some guy from Puerto Rico wanted to buy it and have it shipped there. lol Talk about a car that's in high-demand...<p>Anyway, I'll be making a decision this weekend...hopefully. ;)
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

1995 is by far the most desireable year for North American Rx7s because so few were sent here, and they do seem to be a little more long-lived than their 1993-1994 counterparts. But to say you have to maintain it a 'little more than your mx3' is the understatement of the year. Trust me, I've had three of them and am in the process of getting a fourth. If money is of ANY concern, pass on this. It will eat a hole in your pocket the size of the Pacific ocean. And someone else said it also, if it is not going to be driven frequently, the problems increase disproportionately. Rotaries do not like to sit unused, or go for short hops, or to be driven gently. Apex seals get stuck, carbon builds up, the list goes on and on. IF you have the money to maintain it, and its going to be driven every day, I would go for it. But if it is going to be a garage queen or driven gently only a few days a week, pass on it and save your money.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen

Return to “General Mazda”