Mazdaspeed Edition Protégé TURBO 2003

Other - General Mazda Discussions
Coolzombi

Mazdaspeed Edition Protégé TURBO 2003

Post by Coolzombi »

<A HREF="http://www.overboost.com/whats_hot.asp?id=53" TARGET=_blank>http://www.overboost.com/whats_hot.asp?id=53</A> <BR>hmmmmm!!!!!!!<BR>170hp but torque ??????<BR>0-60 ?????<BR>1/4 ?????
Friends don't let friends drive stock.
Sonicxtacy02

Re: Mazdaspeed Edition Protégé TURBO 2003

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

yea that cars nice and all.. but 170???? why upgrade a car with a turbo and add only 30 hp. 170 would put the car equal low end rsx's.. not to mention the 8 year old 2.5 V6. They may feel like sports cars, but when compared to other japanese manufacturers, mazda is just spinning they're wheels.<P>Honda/Acura: 200hp car<BR>Nissan: 250hp car<BR>Subaru: 225hp<P>Keep in mind these are stock cars, not upgraded but aftermarket. We get a 170 car, aftermarket and 25k+
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Coolzombi

Post by Coolzombi »

hmmm...i think the torque is way more important...<BR>the S2000 with 240hp is cool..but how many torque..135-145 ??
Friends don't let friends drive stock.
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

Post by -=deathtrap-mx3=- »

the mazdaspeed protege is definatley keeping my ears perked up! 170hp isn't as much as scoobies, etc BUT the spec v(175), civic si(160), jetta 1.8t(150/180)) are engines that produce about the same power. a chip on a vw can add upwards of 30hp and 40ftlbs.<P>its a 40 hp jump from the reg 2.0 protege engine! mazda won't max out boost just so they can make huge hp claims.<P>the suspension on the mp3 dominates in scca events, so i also expect the MP to handle just as well but with the added power(a complaint of the mp3) of the turbo. LSD is also an extra feature.<P>the MP will be a very capable car and will fair very well in the market i think. *you couldn't get an mp3 from any smart dealership for less than 22K b/c the demand was so great.<P> <A HREF="http://www.mazdamp3.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mazdamp3.com</A> has a forum dedicated to the MP...<BR> <A HREF="http://forum.protegemp3.com/vbb225/show ... eadid=3630" TARGET=_blank>http://forum.protegemp3.com/vbb225/show ... id=3630</A>
Looking for a 94+GS for KL-ZE fun :)
02 Protege DX Retired
93 MX-3 RS Gone But Not Forgotten
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

This car is going to kick major a-- on street and track! for every ones information the mp3 did the slalom at 68.5 mph on a test from R&T. just to make comparison the only car that had a better slalom speed last year was the porsche GT2 at 68.7 mph. The Mazdaspeed protege will be sold before it hits the showroom and with 17 inch racing harts, intercooled turbo, kick a-- stereo, race tuned suspension, performance brakes, nardi steering wheel, sparco pedals and shifter, ect. this car sells itself.<P>Im sold.
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I have some [pics of the MazdaSpeed Protege that was @ carlisle in these pics<P><BR><A HREF="http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/badmx3/lst?. ... yahoo.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/badmx3/lst?. ... rc=ph&.ord er=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/</A>
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02:<BR><STRONG>yea that cars nice and all.. but 170???? why upgrade a car with a turbo and add only 30 hp. 170 would put the car equal low end rsx's.. not to mention the 8 year old 2.5 V6. They may feel like sports cars, but when compared to other japanese manufacturers, mazda is just spinning they're wheels.<P>Honda/Acura: 200hp car<BR>Nissan: 250hp car<BR>Subaru: 225hp<P>Keep in mind these are stock cars, not upgraded but aftermarket. We get a 170 car, aftermarket and 25k+</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The Protege will be lighter than any of those...and its a turbo, which means easy, simple, cheap upgrades.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

if anybody has the december issue of motor trend check out page 39 2004 ford svt focus. all i can say is if the mazda i4 170hp with garret gt25 turbo which i believe is good for up to 300 hp without running out of breath. anyway to get to the point it answers your question of what mazda is doing for the wrx, and the new dodge srt-4, rsx type-s and if its still worth it celica gt-s<BR>out with the zetec in with the zoom zoom. =]they say its capable of 225hp with some extra work im sure 300hp is reasonable seeing how sr20det can do the same numbers on stock internals.
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

imo its the mazda primera with nice suspension and wheels available to the US detuned haha... somehow i dont think everyone will understand that comment
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

not to mention it comes with a lsd and the only way you will ever get full racing beat suspension new and all at once. at least on this side of the ocean...
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

For those of you how judge whether a car is worth or not by peak HP alone have alot to learn...<P>The MP3 beat the Ferrari 360 Modena through a slalom. Then they gave it more power, more torque, stiffer suspension, and a limited slip differential.<P>Just think about that for a minute.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

for some reason, dave's post reminded me of something i saw...i was watching real tv the other day, and a ferrari something, not sure of the model, drove off the slalom down a flight of stairs, into a building...100 grand worth of damage they said...but man, it certianly is impressive what i've been hearing about the mazdaspeed protege...i wish i could afford one. i got to drive an mp3 about 2 months ago, only about half a mile or so, and all i have to say is wow. that car handled like a dream. i didn't get to push it hard, since it wasn't mine, unfortunatly :(
maldo

Post by maldo »

The new Pro took 2nd in SCC magazines top 10 cars under $20,000. It lost out to the SRT-4 but the Pro is a better car overall.
azmtbkr81

Post by azmtbkr81 »

Yeah, I read that article too. They said the intercooler and exhaust are whats keeping that engine from making more power-easy and relatively cheap upgrades. I would take the Mazdaspeed Protege over that freakshow Neon any day.
'94 Blaze Red RS<P>I may not have a lot of horsepower but I know how to use it!
Manach

Post by Manach »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Coleman:<BR><STRONG>For those of you how judge whether a car is worth or not by peak HP alone have alot to learn...<P>The MP3 beat the Ferrari 360 Modena through a slalom. Then they gave it more power, more torque, stiffer suspension, and a limited slip differential.<P>Just think about that for a minute.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Amen to that..<P>No seriously, power to weight ratio is important. So, to change that ratio, you either drop weight or gain strength... And, it is easier to lose something, then to gain something.. lose weight! :)<P>And losing, mean sometime, you won't even have to pay for it! take something out, and Voila! Is that simple :D
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!

Return to “General Mazda”