malfunction indicator light?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
G-C

malfunction indicator light?

Post by G-C »

hi everyone.
ive been having this problem every week or so regarding my malfunction indicator light going off. it would come on for about 15mins of driving and then go off on its own. when i checked the manual it said it had to do with the 'engine electrical system', but doesnt describe what may be happening or how to correct it. so my question is, has anyone else had this problem OR do you know what may be causing the problem? i sort of want to fix it on my own before i take it into the dealership.

thanks!
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS
Acamori

Re: malfunction indicator light?

Post by Acamori »

there's probably a code in the computer since the warning came on. if you can find someone who has the right stuff to hook to the computer diagnostic port, you should be able to figure out what's going on. a lot of general shops have them, and may check it for you without charging (a dealership will charge you just to open the hood probably) and i think some places like autozone might have some that they can use for you.
1/4 complete system---->carstereo.com
G-C

Post by G-C »

thanks for the info.
what do you mean by 'code' on the computer though? is there something that the dealership has to replace?
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS
mykel78

Post by mykel78 »

on your engine are several sensors, all linked to the ECU (engine control unit). The sensors send information about the functions of the engine to the ecu. When a sensor is failing, the ecu informs the driver by turning on the CEL (check engine light). The code (which indicates the system that is not functioning correctly) can then be obtained at the diagnostic box under the hood.
If not broke - don't fix, modify. If broke - fix it right, and make it better.
G-C

Post by G-C »

will the code be 'logged' in the computers memory? because the light isnt always on. and if i bring it to the dealership how will they know which sensor if the lights off?

(btw, thanx to both you guys for the information. at least now i know partially whats going on.) =)
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”