i've got fuel and spark but not start.....?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
luis castro

i've got fuel and spark but not start.....?

Post by luis castro »

my brother has a 99 mazda protege with a 1.6l and a turbo kit from turbo specialties. we recently upgraded the fuel pump to a walbro but the car will run like ****. it hesitates when you accelarate. we switched fuel pumps back to stock and now the darn thing starts and then dies out. for a couple of days, we've been trying to narrow it down, we have switched the spark plug wires, ignition coils, air flow sensor, throttle pos. sensor and now thet damn thing won't even start. there is fuel, there is spark but o start. any clues?
save a lung, smoke a honda.
OsoSlo z28

Re: i've got fuel and spark but not start.....?

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

timing?
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

I would wonder if ya it is the Timing and also if the the turbo systems FMU is working correctly. Cause i am betting you have a FMU. Cuz i guess if it did start then die it would die because of the lack of gas. But i would go with Timing and maybe while your at it check the compression of your engine. Cause when it started and died you might have been running lean which = detonation = your screwed. But lets hope luck is on your side.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

for a lean condition to kill a motor at idle is highly unlikely.

you said you checked the plug wires and coil. what about the disty cap? what all did you mess with since the last time it ran?
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Well is happened on my friends RX7 TII after he got an upgraded turbo and put some N/A injectors on because his TII ones got messed up when his brother was cleaning then (ran over by another car).

But I would also maybe check if the fuel pump is going at all. It might be that there is a short and it works for a split second then shuts off (happened to a co-workers buick). Took the machanic 4 days to figure it out and $400 later.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

does it idle very rough and backfires? chances are its your spark plug wires, ive had cheap brand "accel" and car wouldnt run and just die, switched back to even stock!! and it runned like on 110 octane
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”