ACT clutch keeps burning out

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
brianho

ACT clutch keeps burning out

Post by brianho »

My ACT clutch keeps buring out! I've got the BPT using the Protege LX tranny, and this is the third year in a row, at almost the exact time, that I have to replace my clutch. Does anyone else with this setup have this problem as well? I drive about 35,000km a year, I'm pretty careful not to slip the clutch too much, and I barely ever drive during rush hour. Before the swap I got 6 years out of my OEM clutch, and I drove my car really hard!

Anyone got any suggestions? This is getting really annoying and expensive!!!

Brian
'92 MX-3 BPT Elegant Beige
torpedan

Re: ACT clutch keeps burning out

Post by torpedan »

Easy question not so easy answer.

Generally speaking the more extreme a clutch matiral is the shorter of a lifespan it has. Yopu might wanna try using a less agressive material or go light on your launches.

Its also worth while to check the clearances and be sure the clutch is fully engaging. This is more of a long shot as of i have not heard of anyone having problems with this.

IOhave been usign a center force dual firction and been very happy. Although i dont have a turbo.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Originally posted by brianho:
My ACT clutch keeps buring out! I've got the BPT using the Protege LX tranny, and this is the third year in a row, at almost the exact time, that I have to replace my clutch. Does anyone else with this setup have this problem as well? I drive about 35,000km a year, I'm pretty careful not to slip the clutch too much, and I barely ever drive during rush hour. Before the swap I got 6 years out of my OEM clutch, and I drove my car really hard!

Anyone got any suggestions? This is getting really annoying and expensive!!!

Brian
Well, one good reason a clutch would go so fast is if the pedal height and freeplay are NOT adjusted. Every ACT clutch I ever installed had to be adjusted out. This happens when the disc is not fully disengaged. In normal driving, you won't be able to tell if the disc has fully disengaged, but as a result it wears out much faster. Checking the height and freeplay is very important when upgrading clutches.

The link in my signature has a write up on the adjustment.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Have you had the flywheel machined to match the thickness of the new friction disc? Without doing this you may never have full engagement of the clutch and the opposite is true where the pressure plate will never fully release because there isn't enough clearance. As far as I know only Clutchmaster sends the spec. the flywheel must be machined to with each clutch kit. If only had the flywheel resurfaced chances are the undercut is to deep and the clutch will fully engage. This is a very common mistake that even professional mechanics make and a procedure some have never even heard of.
juanchos20

Post by juanchos20 »

I have heard from a very good tuner friend that the ACT clutch is not good. He recommends instead the centerforce dual friction. It is friendlier and you still have 90% more holding.
:driver:
natural born honda killer

Post by natural born honda killer »

well i have had the same clutch going on for a good 2-3 years. and since i have installed it i have only increased in power. i am now pushing 220hp and 211 tq at the wheels and mine has had no probs. now im sure you go much more than that and it will start slipping. this is all on the act street strip stage 2 with a stock flywheel. are you launching hard or do you give it the proper break in? how many miles did you give on the break in?
jeremy cline
95 MX-3 RS
The only BPT GTR MX-3 in Texas!!!

man iraq sucks!!!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”