Roaring noise

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
melanievabeach

Roaring noise

Post by melanievabeach »

Just wondering if anybody can help me with my issue. When Im driving any slight turn I make... I hear this loud roaring noise(when i turn right its louder). It seems to be coming from the right front tire area. I have ben told from friends that It is my cv joint on the front drivers side. I know cv joints click....but this is a roaring sound. Any help would be great.

<small>[ August 04, 2004, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: melanievabeach ]</small>
acid_mx3

Re: Roaring noise

Post by acid_mx3 »

sounds to me liek a wheel bearing might be starting to let go as these make a roaring noise
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

I had this problem one time on my old Olds, we thought it was really serious and expensive, so I never looked into it. Turned out to be one of the boots was scraping when turning the wheel all the way. Its the cheapest thing you could replace so it should be the first thing you check.
LongJohn

Post by LongJohn »

You should check the suspension forum, there are lots of good posts about this.

This happened to me twice, once on each side. Basically, the boot goes bad, the grease gets contaminated, and the bearings get wrecked, and you buy yourself a new half axle.

Your half axles have basically a U-joint in them. If you look at the U-joint, while you are driving straight, the thing is spinning, but the joints themselves are not pivoting. When you turn, the joints are pivoting back and forth. That is why you get more noise when you are turning.
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Originally posted by melanievabeach:
Just wondering if anybody can help me with my issue. When Im driving any slight turn I make... I hear this loud roaring noise... Any help would be great.
CV's going bad can make all kinds of different type noises. It's like they each have multiple personalities. I've had em click, clack, knock, crunch, chatter, and thunk. Either your car is just letting you know it's hungry or the posts above are onto something...
Krist B.

Post by Krist B. »

hi perhapsadingo8yerbaby, what's yr car color? and any modification done to yr car? i live in gaithersburg too, but i dont see many mx3s around here. :)
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

White 95 RS. Ext. mods include clear sigs & sidemarkers, blk. altezza tails, Konig Helium Silver 8-spoke alloys, JDM style SS axleback exhaust w/silencer.

Been off the road for a few weeks for interior & susp. mods. Interior is stripped out right now to install soundproofing and new front seats. If ya saw it parked, it's also recognizable by looking inside. Has no rear seat with an exposed polished rear upper strut bar, floor bar, and polished "monkey bar" mounted on the B-pillar seat belt mounts. And you? PM or email or hit me up on AIM if ya get a chance.
LongJohn

Post by LongJohn »

Let us know how well the soundproofing goes. I would be interested... 35 miles each way to work and back sometimes leaves my head a bit numb.
h8ter

Post by h8ter »

perhapsadingo8yerbaby, is it possible that your aftermarket wheels are the wrong offset or too wide and are rubbing inside the fenders when you turn. I've got oversized tires on my 4Runner and it makes a loud roar/rub sound when I turn it full lock in either direction. Could this be your problem? Have a quick look it might be an easier fix then you think.
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

No probs here. That's melanie who's having the noise prob. I was only describing to her the wide variety of sounds that a bad CV can make... :)
h8ter

Post by h8ter »

Sorry, brain fart happened.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”