Mx-3 From Greece

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
yiorta

Mx-3 From Greece

Post by yiorta »

Congratulations for the best source for mx-3 information!!! I have a 1600 dohc '96 with 90.000km and i have problem with the engine at low rpm's till 2000-2500rpm. It chokes and it does not accelerate or it does but very slow until it kicks. Above 3000rpm everything seems to work perfect.I was told that it is a problem of the air flow meter. I cannot find it used nowhere here in Greece. The dealer asks for a new 1200€ !!!

Any suggestions?

I have thought:
a) Just unplug it. Will that work or harm and destroy the engine?
b) Is there any compatibility with the flow meter of same season's mx-5?
C) If i change the filter with a k&n or something should the air be suficient??
d) Is that flow meter adjustable so that i could in any way "tune" the existing?

I apologize for my English, it's been a long time... And thanks for any help!
MX3-Freak

Re: Mx-3 From Greece

Post by MX3-Freak »

If you are talking about the MAF (mass air flow), which I believe you are, here are my answers:

1. No, then engine usually wont start without it. However I had mine running for 10 minutes before it started to backfire with it unplugged lol :confused2:
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

It is a VAF by the way. Not a MAF.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Atlanta, must I give you the link to the two page discussion in the 6cyl forum on the years/models which utilized a MAF/VAF?? You youreself were a main contributor to the thread...and your information was corrected if I may remind you :) . To get to the point, he has a 96 RS. Thus his car came with a MAF not a VAF. Don't make us beat this info into you again lol!!! :freak: J/K :2thumbsup:

Just in case ....

<small>[ July 16, 2004, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: MX3-Freak ]</small>
Car Meanins:
yiorta

Post by yiorta »

U see, when i press the pedal to go, the engine hesitates and almost"crowls". Then after i slow a bit, the car kicks and after ~3000rpm goes ok!!! A day i had 4 friends in, i had problem below 4500rpm. Could it be something else than MAF? I have new distributer cap and rotor, spark cables, filters, and glutch plate.
Is MAF at your place so f***en expensive? Im talking about 1200€ where 1€=~1$.... Any mod which should help acceptable. :crying:
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

It might not be your MAF that is the problem. What you describe could be caused by a hairline crack in the rubber of the large ribbed intake hose connected between your Airbox-MAF and the throttle body. Give this hose a careful inspection by flexing it enough to see if there are cracks, especially between the ribs. You might need to remove the hose to give it a thorough inspection. Any crack(s) would allow extra unmetered air to be drawn into the engine when you are accellerating and could cause the performance problem you describe. If ya find a crack, you can temporarily fix it with duct tape until the hose is replaced. It costs nothing to check this, an only costs 100 Euros if the hose needs replacing. This problem happens a lot and is often overlooked, even by mechanics. Hope that helps.
yiorta

Post by yiorta »

U are great. Thank you very much. I wiil try as soon as i take back my car. ;)
yiorta

Post by yiorta »

It seems that it is the maf.I put out the rubber but no hairline crack was found.
Any idea to bypass the MAF??? It should be done. :p
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

You can't bypass it with out spending several times more then the price of a new MAF from mazda.
Car Meanins:
vegetoking

Post by vegetoking »

screw everythign change the spark plug wires and that heistation shoudl go away. It did for me. well i also replaced the rotor and ditributor cap.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”