Loss of RPMs

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
xXdaveXx

Loss of RPMs

Post by xXdaveXx »

hey guys i come here for some help about my mx-3... i must say that i have the slowest mx-3 in earth but... i like the car and im having a little problem with it... i mean huge problem and i dont wanna get rid of the car .. i mean i love it.. well anyways here it is :

normal rpms is like 900 (no lights, no air , no brakes ) then if i turn on my headlights it losses like 100 rpms then if i press the brakes it goes down to like 500 rpms , and it really pisses of when im driving in the night, specially when i turn on my AC , if i brake with AC on my car just will lose all the rpms and shut down , any ideas what could be wrong??... thx in advance. :(

<small>[ June 01, 2004, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: xXdaveXx ]</small>
torpedan

Re: Loss of RPMs

Post by torpedan »

Originally posted by xXdaveXx:
hey guys i come here for some help about my mx-3... i must say that i have the slowest mx-3 in earth but... i like the car and im having a little problem with it... i mean huge problem and i dont wanna get rid of the car .. i mean i love it.. well anyways here it is :

normal rpms is like 900 (no lights, no air , no brakes ) then if i turn on my headlights it losses like 100 rpms then if i press the brakes it goes down to like 500 rpms , and it really pisses of when im driving in the night, specially when i turn on my AC , if i brake with AC on my car just will lose all the rpms and shut down , any ideas what could be wrong??... thx in advance. :(
Eletrical/Charging System. Liekly your battery is not taking a proper charge, I would suggest calling autoparts stores and asking if they do inhouse free testing and find out how long it takes

A lot of times they will pull it form your car for you and install the new one if ya need one.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
xXdaveXx

Post by xXdaveXx »

so your saying that basically my battery isnt gettin charged as ir should be ?... anyone out there with another possible solution.

one more thing i would like do add is that , lets say i drive in the day and the car is idle its running smooth, but when i turn on AC it drops down the rpms and just turn off.
xXdaveXx

Post by xXdaveXx »

anyone?? help??? im just a 17 year old newbie boy who needs help lol :(

<small>[ June 03, 2004, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: xXdaveXx ]</small>
jpwmx3

Post by jpwmx3 »

Your battery is only for starting the car, once the motor is started the alternator provides your electrical power, as you start requiring more electrical power (lights, A/C,etc) the more the alternator will provide. So I would say your alternator is going.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

is your motor the sohc model?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
xXdaveXx

Post by xXdaveXx »

92 sohc i4

<small>[ June 03, 2004, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: xXdaveXx ]</small>
deepfacets

Post by deepfacets »

I'm on board with the alternator theory. It could be that your alternator is not putting out much juice and you are running partially on your battery.

Or it could be that your battery won't hold the charge (dead cells). I had an acura with a great alternator (pro rebuild), but the car had sat for a while. I could jump the car no problem and drive just fine (on the alternator), but when I stopped to shift to reverse . . . DIE. Reason being, my rpm was low when and I needed the battery to support the juice when the alt wasn't making it.

Either way . . . go to the parts store & they can check out you electrical system. You could have an issue with both. If the alt is weak, it will drain the battery . . . then you have two problems.

As far as alternator options . . . I like to pull mine & take it to a rewind shop. Cost is usually less, AND they can wind it better to put out more juice . . . great for STEREO & LIGHTS that are power hogs.
deepfacets

Post by deepfacets »

I'm on board with the alternator theory. It could be that your alternator is not putting out much juice and you are running partially on your battery.

Or it could be that your battery won't hold the charge (dead cells). I had an acura with a great alternator (pro rebuild), but the car had sat for a while. I could jump the car no problem and drive just fine (on the alternator), but when I stopped to shift to reverse . . . DIE. Reason being, my rpm was low when and I needed the battery to support the juice when the alt wasn't making it.

Either way . . . go to the parts store & they can check out you electrical system. You could have an issue with both. If the alt is weak, it will drain the battery . . . then you have two problems.

As far as alternator options . . . I like to pull mine & take it to a rewind shop. Cost is usually less, AND they can wind it better to put out more juice . . . great for STEREO & LIGHTS that are power hogs.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”