what muffler?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mnuckols

what muffler?

Post by mnuckols »

What muffler do you guys think would sound really well with 2" mandral bent pipe on the 1.6L 4cylinder engine? Some people say Flowmaster 60 series, magnaflow(what model????), ractive(what model???), or any others? If anyone has a sound clip/video of their exhaust that would be great help. Thanks in advance. Hoping to get this done tomarrow or thursday.
Freq2002

Re: what muffler?

Post by Freq2002 »

OK, couple things first. Are you running the pipe right off the cat? No cat at all, resonator, what?
Primary thing is this, what sounds good to you?
Are you one of these people (I'm being nice) that actualy likes the buzz-bomb sound of a can, or are you looking for a mellow tone?
How loud do you want it? The MX-3 is notorious for being super loud inside the cabin with a loud exaust. (Mine sounded like I was in a small airplane at highway speeds, SUCKED!)

Tell me what it is you want, & I can give you a couple ideas.
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
mnuckols

Post by mnuckols »

Keeping everything just replaces pipe + muffler. I want the mellow sound and I don't want it to be really loud...Not sure what to get.
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

If you keep the stock cat & resonator, it kind of defeats the use of a larger piping since you will still have those restrictions. You can get a high flow cat & replace the resonator with a large glass pack for a little more that what this job will cost anyway. I'd reccomend adding a flex joint as well since the down pipe on these tends to get cracked & costs alot. Having a complete system made from the header pipe all the way back is the best plan. Do it once, do it right, never mess w. it again.
As for the muffler, if you want a mellow tone, stay away from the big mouth cans. Dual tip Magnaflows are nice, & the Flowmasters are good at breaking up the sound too. What you want to avoid are the ones that have a large straight thru flow path.
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
god_of_trash

Post by god_of_trash »

when i get mine done here shortly i think im going to just head down to a local custom muffler shop and have a full system made from the headers back eliminating the cat, larger piping and use a magnaflow deeper sound muffler. It would be nice to get a good 5 ponies out of this engine from this mod...???!

hey does anyone know if I have a exhaust made for my 4 cylinder if it will work when i get the v6 swap this summer?

thanks!
1999 AWD 20G turbo W/NX nitrous
1995 electron blue r34 kit Prelude
1993 mazda MX-3 stock
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

If you're doing a swap this summer, putting in a new exaust now would be a total waste of cash. Just wait till you get the new engine & have the system done then, the piping is somewhat different, better to do it once.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

as long as you keep your stock cat and resonator and use a straight-through or nice-brand muffler, you should be fine and it shouldn't sound bad.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

ive got apexi N1 on my '93 gs se but its V6, but it sounds nice and people said that it sounds like skyline, but i havent heard real skyline, so im not sure lol
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
mxtreekid

Post by mxtreekid »

hey man i went down to a custom exhaust shop and had my exhaust done there. i had the stock cat replaced with a magnaflow and they did a custom mandrel bent all the way back. i was going to buy a muffler and have them install it but they said that it would be cheaper if i bought one of theirs. i was kind of skeptical because i have never heard of a "BULLET" muffler before, but i love the sound of the system, i think it sounds great. it is mellow at low rpm's but once you get up there around 4k it starts to scream. its on a 95 1.6L by the way

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”