I need help with a B6-T swap, please help

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
littleredmx3

I need help with a B6-T swap, please help

Post by littleredmx3 »

Hi, I had a 92 red mx-3 (hence the login name)that was two years ago. now I have this beautiful 92 black MX-3 with the 88HP SOHC. On friday I bought a 91 capri XR-2 from an auction with light rear damage (125 bucks!!) and a nice running (61K) B6-T motor/trans/ecu ect. well I got it home today and bought a motor lift today, got all my tools ready and drained all fluids. now this is where I need your help my fellow MX-3ers I need to know everything I will need to modify if any thing to swap this motor. I know this is one of the easier swaps but I need to know of any surprizes because there always there. any info would be much appreciated. Oh and does anyone know who can spice up my ecu while it's out of the car, I will be changing things like exhaust, intake, injectors, fuel pump/regulator, raised boost to 10 pounds. I can't seem to find anyone who can get me a chip to those changes, well thanks a bunch in advance guys, any help will be great. and if you guys need anything as far as car audio/video, security cameras and DVR's, home theater, anything electronics wise, let me know, I have my own store and sell all that stuff. later
Shady469
Supporting Member

Re: I need help with a B6-T swap, please help

Post by Shady469 »

there is no splicing needed of the ecu unless your talking about wiring in a S-AFC. and dont get a chip they are not tunable, the S-AFC will help just as much if not more.
http://www.geocities.com/explosivemazda/pageone
www.cardomain.com/id/explosivemazda
my car w/ b6t capri swap
explosivemazda@yahoo.com if you have any further questions.

your pot of gold: http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=000003

<small>[ February 24, 2004, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Shady469 ]</small>
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
littleredmx3

Post by littleredmx3 »

Thanks for answering, is that it? as far as the swap, it can't be that easy. I have the B6T out of the doner car cleaned and ready to go. when you did your swap did you have to change the tranny, or any mounts, sensors, wires, anything??
Please help
littleredmx3

Post by littleredmx3 »

hey that link is a huge help.......the only thing is he is mating a B6T engine to mx3 parts, sensors, ecu, tranny ect. I have all that stuff from the XR2 will it fit??? thanks for the the help, if you hear anything else, let me know

Max
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

thats how you make it fit: by swapping everything over. you use your MX-3 trannny(or pro lx), your mx-3 ecu(or pro lx), your mx-3 tps/distributor and injector harness. thats why the swap is so easy: your just switching everything over.
the only things that really need to be fabricated or otherwise swapped are the oil pan(have to grind it down) to get the axle to engage(i provided a pic on my site for that) and swapping over the entire MX-3 passenger side mount/bracket to the b6T(also on the site).
and changing the wires for the IAC and wiring in the injectors to the harness.
in fact if you really wanted to you could leave your tranny in the mx-3 still bolted in and drop in the motor. its a pain but its doable.

<small>[ February 26, 2004, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Shady469 ]</small>
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
littleredmx3

Post by littleredmx3 »

so no matter what I have to use the parts of my mx-3 motor to make this work?? the b6-t tranny won't fit? will the ecu have any problems accepting the turbo setup?? and what would you recommend for a computer enhancement, and BOV, I want to dress the motor properly befor I drop it in. hey I really appreciate your help. I got the turbo back yesterday, there is a shop near me down here who do work with turbos, they rebuilt my turbo with new gaskets and seals for $48.00 bucks!!! what about all the sensors found in the XR-2 (donor car) on the firewall, will i need them to make the b6-t work properly? what size intercooler did you use on your set up? I have the stock XR-2 unit, but I want something a little nicer. Sorry about all the questions.....
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

the SOHC MX-3 ecu will run it fine. you just need to get an Apexi S-afc or something like it.(DO NOT get the HKS S-AFR). i don't know if the b6t tranny will fit but if you use it im sure youd have to change out alot of stuff(axles and what not). but again thats why this swap is fairly simple: you use your mx-3 stuff. i don't know what sensors your talking about on the fire wall but if your talking about the whole charcoal canister set-up that can be removed and disgarded. you have to use your mx-3 disty b/c the b6t one is a vacuum advance unit and will NOT work with your ecu.
as far as intercooler i went with a pwr 18.5x6x3. it does the job nicely. bov wise its whatever sound you like the best.
and injectors: i dont know if the us spec b6ts use low or high impedance injectors. ask derrick at CorkSport about that.
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
FREDDY GONZALEZ_23

Post by FREDDY GONZALEZ_23 »

hey shady i got one question i found a capri real close to my house but its not turbo. can i get that and then add the turbo to it. or do i need to get the engine that has the turbo already thanx.
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

lets see as far as that goes and from what i've gathered (correct me if i'm wronge):
the base capri still offers a DOHC motor with around 100hp. it's cam's aren't as aggressive as the xr-2's and it sports a 9.4:1 compression ration compared to the more boost friendly 7.9:1 xr-2. that's not necessarily a bad thing as it will spool up faster and be peppier off the boost but you have to take more care in addressing fuel/spark and making sure the timing is dead on. another thing is the rods: i have no idea if they are the stout ones found in the xr-2.
now as far as putting a turbo on there the heads should be the same but i dont know if the base capri has the block/oil pan tapped for cooling and oil. one plug is right next to the tranny on the front of the motor.
basically (i think) for the work involved it'd be like turboing your SOHC except your getting 12 more hp and 2 cams.
it's late im sorry if this has any glaring missinformation but i did my best...
ps:
1.6L 100 hp I4 1.6L 132 hp I4
Horsepower 100 132
Torque (lb-ft) 95 136
Displacement (cc) 1598 1598
Bore X Stroke (in.) 3.07 X 3.29 3.07 X 3.29
Compression Ratio 9.4:1 7.9:1
Turbocharger No Yes
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
littleredmx3

Post by littleredmx3 »

Hey, If your looking for a B6-t motor, I have two, I can sell you one with the turbo for $500.00 it has 71K on it, I saw it run before it was pulled, let me know. I have good news, I got my B6-t in this weekend, there is a local shop around here that has a guy who knows these motors like no tomorrow, I paid him 50 bucks just to help out with my swap, and between the both of us we had the motor in within 3hours. and if you guys are wondering, the tranny fits,you have to use the capri axles though, that took a while and the ecu is a direct plug in, the only thing I have to do was swap over the electronics from the capri that run the distributor and knock sensors as well, oh and a boost gauge, as far as the motor, just the motor mount, I can't wait to take her out I'm waiting on my blow off valve and 2 stage boost controller.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”