rebuilt bpt

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
custommx3gtx

rebuilt bpt

Post by custommx3gtx »

i had my bpt gtx motor rebuilt and was wondering if anyone know what kind of hp i might be able to get of it heres whats done to it

Wiseco 8.5 forged pistons
ARP head studs
ARP main studs
Cork Sport Reprogrammed ECU for 550cc injectors 9k
redline
RC balanced 550cc injectors
J-Spec GTR intake manifold port matched to the head

Full race head with SS oversized valve, race valve
grind, CC'ed combustion chambers

Fully modified BP block with radiused oil galleries,
modified oil pump, balanced crankshaft and rotating
assembly

GT25 0.63 A/R 56 trim GT35 compressor wheel 2.09 inlet
2.80 exducer comp flow 44 lbs
Exhaust side .82 A/R 76 trim 1.85/2.12

thanx for any help

<small>[ January 17, 2004, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: custommx3gtx ]</small>
FroSTeD

Re: rebuilt bpt

Post by FroSTeD »

Go dyno it and find it by yourself :shrug:

It's not like asking I changed only 1 thing on it, you give a complete list of change.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

if you're running a reprogrammed mx-3 ecu, don't hold high expectations of it. if you're dropping all this money on it, why not go with a stand-alone to get the full potential of the motor? the motor sounds strong, depends on the amount of psi you run through it and the degree of tuning done.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
custommx3gtx

Post by custommx3gtx »

i was told by corksport to reprogram my gtx ecu thats why i did it he could of sold me a stand alone but said i would be better off this way
maldo

Post by maldo »

Their wrong. Plain and simple, a TEC or Haltech could net you an extra 20-80 whp depending on the state of tune that the reprogrammed ecu provides.
custommx3gtx

Post by custommx3gtx »

thanx for the info ill look in to one
TurboGTR

Post by TurboGTR »

Why the hell would you need a stand alone when it would only hurt performance in this case.

You guys should consider other options lol
Stand alones arent the god sent that people think they are.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

haha, how would it hurt performance? please, explain. a stand-alone, properly tuned, will produce more hp than a factory ecu.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
TurboGTR

Post by TurboGTR »

Who said this was a factory ECU????????

He said it was a re programmed ECU, and aren't you the one who had the problems with your MX3 ECU?

Maybe I worded it wrong, it wont hurt performance, but the gains you get with the programmed ECU are very similar to a tuned Stand Alone. So, with that being said, why spend $1500 bucks for a stand alone when youll only get MAYBE 10whp?

Corksport built the motor and they seem to think this will be more than enough to keep the motor running the way it should. :)
maldo

Post by maldo »

For one thing, if he adds any other performance parts, ups the boost, changes the timing, gets bad gas, runs C16 or any other change for that matter, he is screwed with the reprogrammed ecu whereas the standalone can easily compensate. There is no debating it standalones win hands down. Find any Miata making power, none of them run the stock or reprogrammed ecu. Do it right the first time or waste your money, it is up to you. :shrug:
TurboGTR

Post by TurboGTR »

Or run a GReddy E-Manage????? problem solved for half the price and able to run WHATEVER he wants whenever he wants.
TurboGTR

Post by TurboGTR »

He is going to tune the car to his needs, if he needs anymore the fuel and ignition control of the greddy have more than enough to compensate.

You guys are upselling a solution that is not needed, plus, his tuner is a ROM tuner that can make the ECU do most of the work anyways.
After the base tune is done for injector values, speed control no more than fuel and timing is needed.

I think you wasted your money OsoSlo z28, you could have done it way cheaper, I guess you have alot to play with.
BTW: Do you do your own tuning? if not, who pays for that???

Look at it this way, there are always better solutions for cheaper, but keep spending your cash :2thumbsup:
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i did my own tuning. to keep having ecu burned is a hassle, so he'd pay for that, then the greddy? and everytime he wanted to upgrade something, he'd pay for another program? hmm. he MAY save money in the long run, but sometimes, convenience is also a worthwhile investment. if i wanted to up the boost, i could tune it myself. if i added bigger injectors, i could tune it my self. too much timing advance, just a few key strokes away. i don't have experience with reprogrammed GTX ecu's. but i do know it's a hassle everytime you upgrade something. if you're lucky, you have a shop nearby that can do it. if not, your car has down time while you're waiting on the ecu. again, if you're going to go through the hassle of installing the whole gtx harness, might as well go ahead and get something more versitile. i sold my car, but i'd still invest in a haltech IF you were serious about power. the precision of a stand-alone is unreal. especially if combined with a wideband O2.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

do some serious number crunching before choosing your injectors. i don't know exactly what kind of whp would max out those 550's but it sounds like you've got or are getting a pretty potent set-up and should make fuel your first priority. Derrik @ CS has all kinds of numbers he can tell you about what cc to what whp.
IGNITION. larger coil and an aftermarket ignition are great things to add to get more power.
i'm agreeing with MALDO and cre8vmx3 er ososlo z28: go with a standalone. i've had a APEXi S-AFC and now run an HKS Super AFR and am not really happy with either one. i saw somewhere that they got like 20-30whp out of a stock LS integra by switching to a standalone and doing extensive tuning. not saying that those are common gains but that well more than 10. and another bonus is that you can get rid of the stupid MAF.
if i had the funds i'd go standalone...
best of luck
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
natural born honda killer

Post by natural born honda killer »

actually me and mr. z28 both used the reprogrammed ecus from corksport and ill tell you they sucked big time. for one if you got above like 4000 rpm the car would buck like hell and then it would get power and take off. or the lovely times it starts and then i guess goes into limp mode when ever the hell it wants and it has no power at all and flutters its way extremely slow through all the gears and rpms. i now have the haltech and will say also that if you do this bpt swap if not any other engine swap to get a stand alone.
jeremy cline
95 MX-3 RS
The only BPT GTR MX-3 in Texas!!!

man iraq sucks!!!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”