Electrical Failure

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
sapper

Electrical Failure

Post by sapper »

Ok, heres the first problem. Lately my car has been acting up. The engine feels like its mis-firing, and is about to stall, but very quickly it goes back to normal. This only happens when in thelow RPM range (Below 2500) in any gear. Its got new plugs (NGK Platnum's) which are properly gaped.

The second problem I'm facing is my interior dash lights (Gauges and Heater lights, but not the stereo). The light are flicking on and off on me. The only think I can think of that would be causeing this is my reverse glow guages and glow pedals which are wired up to the lights dimmer switch. The reverse glow guages arnt flickering, but the original gauges undernieth are. what could ba causeing it? Could it be that theres too much power being drawn off the dimmer switch? Wouldnt the reverse glow guages and pedals go as well?
I saw a street sign yesterday that said Caution! Children playing! so I slowed down. Then I thought Wait! I'm not afraid of children!
rancid420potheadpunk

Re: Electrical Failure

Post by rancid420potheadpunk »

every time my cd player "hits" the lights on it dim. dont know why.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

Well, the ground and dimmer wires from behind the stereo are connected to the dash lights and tail lights in the fuse box.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
sapper

Post by sapper »

Itsnot the wire for the sterio dimmer, and theres no subs in the car, just the deck. So I know it's not that grabbing power. Thewires in question are hooked up to the dimmer switch on the left hand site of the steering column, for the dash lights, not the stereo.

I think I've found the reason why its mis-firing. When I got to work today, I poped the hood and pulled out all the spark plug wires from the valve cover, and found water in the #4 cyliner plug well. Not alot, but just enough to make the plug wire wet. I know that the gasket has been leaking a little oil into that plug well (Not alot, but enough that every two or three months I have to stick a paper towel down there to soak it up) so maybe the coolant is finding its way into there. Looks like its time for a new gasket. That will come is a few days. No oil in the coolant yet. Thank god :crying: :werd:
I saw a street sign yesterday that said Caution! Children playing! so I slowed down. Then I thought Wait! I'm not afraid of children!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”