i4 105hp + turbo =?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3boi

i4 105hp + turbo =?

Post by mx3boi »

ya, if i have a i4 mx-3 93 that originaly has 105hp, if i had good turbo, how much hp will i have?
Dj Continuum - Master of Epic Trance
Sonicxtacy02

Re: i4 105hp + turbo =?

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

half way through the 1993 model year they switched to DOHC, therefore there are 105hp 93's out there.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
mx3boi

Post by mx3boi »

ya, i practicly read the whole howstuffworks.com site heh. but anyways, cuz like, i put it this way. if i have a i4, i spent less money on gaz then a 2.5l ko-3 engine or wtv, and with that money i can put a turbo. and plus, when thats insalled, i think it will only cost a bit more for gaz, but still not as much as 2.5l engine, so with that money i can put it on the cars look and sound systeme....
Dj Continuum - Master of Epic Trance
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

105 H.P. + 7 PSI of boost = 152.61 H.P.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

well i know on mine with swaping injectors out left and right to find the best set up. with my high lift cams exaust and 7psi, and a 460cc injectors that i was running the day before yesterday i had to of hit around 200 whp. i pretty much burned up all the clutches in the auto trans, and i was churping all the way threw third. i have an 01 eclips GT spyder it does high 14s in the 1/4 mil and i know that it would not even of been a match fo my mx. the only down fall is it idles like crap. so im trying to find a littl smaller injector.

im running a basic setup, i went real cheep on everything but with the turb and fuel pump, fuel pres reg and everything else iv frobably spent about 500 to 700 USD.
maldo

Post by maldo »

Show me a dyno and I will believe you 200whp claim. "High Lift Cams", which cams?, what specs? :shrug:
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

Originally posted by Josh:
well i know on mine with swaping injectors out left and right to find the best set up. with my high lift cams exaust and 7psi, and a 460cc injectors that i was running the day before yesterday i had to of hit around 200 whp. i pretty much burned up all the clutches in the auto trans, and i was churping all the way threw third. i have an 01 eclips GT spyder it does high 14s in the 1/4 mil and i know that it would not even of been a match fo my mx. the only down fall is it idles like crap. so im trying to find a littl smaller injector.

im running a basic setup, i went real cheep on everything but with the turb and fuel pump, fuel pres reg and everything else iv frobably spent about 500 to 700 USD.
You have a turbocharged 01 clipse (thats the only way you'll get that tank into the 14's)?
But if it were to work that way how can one say an intercooler adds power? If 7psi from the turbo adds X amount of power, how does one compensate for having(or not having) an intercooler in the system?
Intercoolers do not add power to a system, they optimize the amount of power the system is allowed to make by cooling the intake charge, thus giving you the ability to run higher boost.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

Quick physics lesson here:
Air expands as it heats up. So, the colder the air coming in, the more dense it is. For example - you have 1m³ of air at 30°C. Cool that air down to 20°C. You will have as much air as you started with, but it will not take up 1m³. Now, the same works for the turbo. If you stick an intercooler in before your turbo, the air coming in gets cooled, takes up less space, meaning more air gets into the engine, and makes things more efficient. That is why you get more power when you add an intercooler. That should be correct, but if I messed up somewhere, let me know.

<small>[ October 03, 2003, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: reklez ]</small>
Matthew Monid

1993 MX-3 RS 5-Speed (Sold)/1997 Volvo 850 AWD Turbo 5-Speed
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

i said probably, im not a dino i cant tell that. but iv grown up around muscle cars my hole life and i know power when i feel it. i know for sure with the turbo im running at least 170 whp. my cams are high lift MIATA cams they are 260 seat duration and 9.52mm lift. they have a massive powerban at 4K. as far as i know im the only one running miata cams. havent talked to any one who has done it other than me. and as soon as i get the manual trans, and my fuel curv is proper ill go to the dino.

and as far as the eclips, the stock GT eclips does a 15.2 in the 1/4 mile. with the proper driver. if i have to strap a turbo on the eclips to run 14s then there is a problem with the turbo.

also most intercoolers take away at least 1psi of boost, depending on your car and the setup you are running and who tunes your car depends on how it will perform. but i know someone running a t3 on their sohc civic and they have no loss to the ic.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”