interested in a 92 mx3. tech questions.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
DJ_JaKe

interested in a 92 mx3. tech questions.

Post by DJ_JaKe »

i found a 92 mx3 4cyl auto for my gf so she can get to school and back. its in mint cond. except for a few exterior rust spots on the door frame. its only got 170k on the odo too, so im pleased. i went to check it out today, and just a few things worried me<p>
1) its an auto tranny. between shifts, especially 1-2, the transition between gears is hardly smooth. its quick and rather rough. is this normal in these cars? the original owner said its always been like that, just the design of the tranny<p>2) the valve train is ticking very loudly. seems like its the valve guides or something that have worn a bit. is this is a common problem,and how worried should i be?<p>3) original alternator. how soon will this thing go? and are parts for these mazda's expensive?<p>4) anyone want to suggest anything else before i give this car a final OK<p>thx in advance
kuruption1983

Re: interested in a 92 mx3. tech questions.

Post by kuruption1983 »

if you can avoid buying an automatic tranny on an mx3, that would be sick, you will be happy later. just dont buy an auto. :shrug:
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

My 1-2 shift has always been less than smooth, sometimes even harsh. I noticed this when I test drove others before I bought mine new in '93. Just the nature of the beast, in my opinion. Autos that shift firm and somewhat 'harsh' in general tend to last longer. Check the fluid, it should be pinkish-red and smell 'machine-like'. If its dark or smells burnt, run. If its ok and you do buy the car, change the fluid and filter right away and every 10k miles (16k km's)afterword. A tranny oil cooler will do wonders.<p>Valve train- very common problem, Mazdas cure was to use 5w-30 oil. If thats whats already in there, replacement (parts alone) will run about $400-500US. If you are handy with tools, the replacement isnt that difficult if you know your way around an engine. If not, factor in labor costs or live with the noise. Mine have been ticking off and on for years. Turn the radio up, problem disappears.....
;) <p>Alternator- easy to find, not difficult to replace. Call around for prices. I have been told by Autozone employees DONT use an Autozone alternator, they are crap (when someone who works there tells you that, I tend to believe them). When/if that time comes, I plan to go somewhere else, personally. <p>Anything else- Pretty much like any other car. Check for worn/torn cv joint boots. Find out if/when the timing belt was changed. If it hasnt been, do it SOON and replace the water pump while you are at it. Its cheap and will save labor time/costs. Also check the front springs for rust. Mazda recalled them for breakage in areas that use road salt. I had one break last year, kind of nerve racking, sounds like an atomic bomb exploding under the car. If it breaks and goes thru the tire on the highway you'll be in a BAD situation completely off-guard. Have Mazda run the vin and see if its in the recall.<p>As long as basic maintenance has been done, and the tranny fluid is changed regulary, should be a VERY reliable car. Not fast, but reliable...
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
DJ_JaKe

Post by DJ_JaKe »

i had my gf try to drive a 5spd, but she couldnt get it going. that and her daily commute will be constant stop/go traffic down the highway, so auto is the only choice for her.
i agree though, the cars performance REALLY hurts with the auto, but my gf doesnt mind, shes not inerested in going fast, simply something reliable and good on gas. <p>tbelt was done not too long ago, same with the waterpump, so im happy with that. ill check the springs, and im trying to get the VIN to be run to be sure.<p>i checked the fluids, they all appeared and smelled normal. valve train ticking is really bothering me though. i hope it doesnt develop into a serious problem. i could rebuild the head myself, i just dont feel its neccesary if i am to buy the car just now and can avoid it alltogether. thank you for your reply though, i appreciate it
Ryencool

Post by Ryencool »

thats when i know i need an oil change, every 3k the evil ticking comes back....yuk, oil change and you wont hear it
92 red rs
performance exhaust
zx2 struts and Eibach springs
turboed + stand alone when the cash is there
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

My alternator went the other day in my mx-3. There not very difficult to find the best bet if you cant find one is to rebuild thats what I did. It costed 50 bucks canadian pretty damn cheap if u ask me.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”