valve lifters!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Krist B.

valve lifters!

Post by Krist B. »

i went to Midas today and asked them to replace valve lifters. they gave me the price which is about $800 for labor and $500 for parts.
is that possible? :(
guyaverage

Re: valve lifters!

Post by guyaverage »

:eek: $1300 total, for lifters??<p>If you can make your way to Cincinnati, I'll do it for $1200.........<p>Is it possible that they would charge that much? MIDAS? Absolutely, without a doubt. Possible that someone would pay that much? Not if they have any brain cells still living. Why are you having them replaced, because they are tapping? If you havent already, switch to 5w-30 oil, preferably synthetic. That is Mazda's official cure, short of replacing them. If you are going to spend that much money, do yourself a favor and use that cash to upgrade to a BP or BPT.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
maldo

Post by maldo »

Lifters aren't cheap, that sounds about right for pricing. Labour would be what kills you, cams, timing belt, valve cover, all have to be removed and re-installed for this procedure.
Krist B.

Post by Krist B. »

yes, i know it's expensive for that price. the thing is even i'm using mobil1 synthetic, but the noise wont go away. (it's killing me everytime i hear it) i guess my lifters r real bad, so i thought the only way to fix is to replace them. first i thought i would fix these lifters then turbo my engine, but now i guess i have to think again. i may have to look for a b6t or bpt with lower miles. or if i can just replace lifters myself, then i'll keep my stock engine. :(
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

I agree the lifters themselves arent cheap, I was balking at the labor. Even having to remove the valve cover, cams, timing belt, etc. should not be $800. This is not difficult labor. Its not even that time consuming. For anyone willing to pay $1300 for lifters, installed, I repeat my offer, come to Cincinnati..... :D I'll even throw in a free wash and vac.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”