Paint?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
zevirii

Paint?

Post by zevirii »

I just bought a 93 Mx-3 GS and the paint is a ugly purple and is chiped and faded really bad. I talked to a local body shop who does good paint jobs and then I also called maaco.. This is what I found:<P>Local Body Shop: <P>$3500 All preping, paint, clear coat<P>Maaco:<P>$500 All preping, paint, clear coat<P>I can't really justify spending $3500 for a paint job when thats what the car cost itself, however I have heard several complaints about Maaco while browsing the internet. My question is this... Has anyone got a paint job from Maaco and was happy with it? And Are there any other place you can recommend? Thanks
voltaire

Re: Paint?

Post by voltaire »

Man, take my advice. Stay away from MAACO! At least around here in Florida, I know they suck. I've seen people's MAACO paint jobs before and they're always terrible.<P>Not only will you not get the same quality look as a professional job, but you'll probably end up having to paint it again in a year or two.<P>MAACO is for ugly old cars. MX-3's shouldn't be painted at MAACO!<P>(If anyone has any positive feedback about MAACO, please respond so as to give a more balanced opinion)
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

Oh, and BTW<P>There is DEFINITELY a happy medium somewhere between MAACO and a $3500 paint job! $3500 seems quite high, unless you're using some really expensive paint or doing something other than the standard all one color. This also depends on if your totally changing colors and want to get everything painted, including under the hood. <P>If your doing a standard paint job in the same color, I would think you could get a high quality paint job for $1000 - $1500 depending on your area. If you search around and talk to people, you might even be able to get one even cheaper.<P>Let your fingers do the walking, and then go by the shop and check out their work. You can see the cars they're working on, and they usually have lots of pictures of previous jobs.
zevirii

Post by zevirii »

Anyone know of a good place arround Austin Texas?
zevirii

Post by zevirii »

What about Econo Body and Paint shops? They are willing to paint the car for less the $600 with a 3 year warrenty.. I have seen there work and it didn't look that bad... Anyone else heard anything about this shop?
andy

Post by andy »

I have used both paint shops in the past here<BR>in Lake Worth, Fl. So far I'm a happy customer. But, and here's were it gets complicated, I have done my own prep work,<BR>from body work to taping things off. I also found it better to just strip the car of everything that would come off easily.<BR> Also I only get there "BEST" paint job. they both offer different levels of paint jobs but only their best is good enough.<BR> I have seen both of these places with their<BR>$99 dollar specials, stay away from these.<BR> I also always pay extra for a clear coat on top of the paint job.<BR> Andy P. 93 GS
zevirii

Post by zevirii »

Thankz Andy... How much did you end up paying?
aznwithamx3

Post by aznwithamx3 »

macco has a 4 year warrenty one,if i get that and pay for an extra clear coat will that be any good?
zevirii

Post by zevirii »

William,<P>Don't goto Maaco. I recently met a guy who worked there, and he was telling me that even the $500 paint jobs they did would get people running back for warrenty work cause they went to a car wash and half the paint came off... Knowing this and hearing all the complaints on the internet and from friends Maaco will be the last place I ever look.... <P>However I have heard a few positive things about a place called Econo Body and Paint. No sure if they are better than Maaco or not but I haven't heard anythign bad about them as of yet, so I will most likely be going there for my paint job...<P>Hope this helps
andy

Post by andy »

I only used the macco once and two years later the paint still looks good. Here is a link to the car they painted. just keep in mind that I prepped it.http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... 1586<P>the cost at maaco was approx $300.<P>when it comes to these paint shops I would get a relationship going with the person writing up the quote. Ask questons like how long has the painter been there and how much experience does he have. Definately ask to see some of there painted cars with there best quality paint job. ask what they will tape off and what they paint over. be very specific as to what you want. Ask about runs in the paint or bubbles.<BR> In the end when I pick the car up I go over it with a fine tooth comb, and point out anything that doesn't look right. And yes I have had to have some things repainted but they were always very willing to repaint anything that didn't look right.<BR> Andy P. 93 GS
zevirii

Post by zevirii »

First positive thing I have Heard on Maaco... lol
Ryencool

Post by Ryencool »

my car was just keyed last night, they went all the way around the damn car...What should I do insurance wise? get a really high quote? or will they total my car that way? im thinking if I wait a month I can get the corksport front sides, that new kit from canadas rear, and be set...
92 red rs
performance exhaust
zx2 struts and Eibach springs
turboed + stand alone when the cash is there
aznwithamx3

Post by aznwithamx3 »

whtas the best place to go with the lowest costs i dont want to pay to much
andy

Post by andy »

Ryencool: the answer depends on what kind of coverage you have on the car. whats your deductable? do you have comp and collision or just liability?<P> Williamtauch: I can't help you with the best place except to say check them out and ask the questions I mentioned earlier. If you don't like what you see and don't like the answers your getting move on to the next place. most of the time the saying is true that, you get what you pay for. Do you want a show car paint job? How long do you think you are going to keep the car. If its more than the warranty on the paint job than count on repainting it again. If all you want is to spend $500 or less on a paint job than your stuck with econo type paint shops.<BR> You might get a better paint job for $3500,<BR>then again you might not, you might just get a lighter wallet. I have an advantage of having a background in autobody work, you probably don't.<P> Andy P. 93 GS
Ryencool

Post by Ryencool »

my deductable is 250$. and I have coverage on vandalism, and this is what that would fall under I suspect..as far as how I want it painted, just teh stock blaze red minus the gay gold pinstripe they put on there. However red paint has a tendancy to fade quicker and turn pink etc, so I want a decent paint job to last atleast a couple of years . I plan on keeping th mx forever, its paid off, and when im older and rich it will be easier for major work ;)..gonna go get soem estimates tommorow<P>Ryan
92 red rs
performance exhaust
zx2 struts and Eibach springs
turboed + stand alone when the cash is there

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”