Valve Tick Question

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
tk1138

Valve Tick Question

Post by tk1138 »

Valve Tick is generally from the HLAs, and the typical sugestion for "fixing" it is using a different weight of oil, right?<p>What I want to know is what is actually happening that shouldn't be? Or, what isn't that should be?
And also, is this more than a neusance problem (I.E. is it going to cause damage if uncorrected)?
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
Stan W.

Re: Valve Tick Question

Post by Stan W. »

The Hydraulic Valve Lash Adjusters usually retains a little oil within them, so when you fire up the engine and the oil pressure "grows" the adapter expands quickly thus no space, thus no "tick."<p>When there is a faulty HLA two conditions are suspect. The adjuster is clogged (fully or partially)thus no/reducted oil goes through. The adjuster can't expand, the "lash" is too wide and you get the tick. <p>Dirt is the most probable cause. Some flush the lube system with 5 weight oil, run the engine till warm up, and refill with regular 10W30. Others pull the HLA, clean it in solvent and reassemble. <p>Some folks only have the "tick" when the engine first starts up and do nothing.<p>Hope this helps.
Stan W.
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

If my engine ticks for a few second after startup, as you describe....Is that a danger to the engine?
No Sig
Rp's_mx-3

Post by Rp's_mx-3 »

I dont know what kind of fuel you put in your car but the first thing i would do is put some high octane pump gas in.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

I've heard running higher octane helps with HLA noise
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Stan W.

Post by Stan W. »

I would not worry if the "tick" goes away after a few seconds. Since it does go away, the HLA is getting the oil it needs. If you listen to engines in other cars that have more than a few years on them, you will notice most all have a tick for a few seconds upon starting. <p>Years ago when most cars had solid lifters you would have to adjust the valve lash by adjusting nuts on either the rocker arms or lifter heads (depending on car and model). It was a pain in the butt and to do a good job you did it with the engine running and oil squirting everywhere. Adjusting the valves were a every 3,000 mile requirement with my 70 VW.<p>In the 50s, cars were even known by the type of "tick." Every 14 year old kid could recognize a Chevy by it's "tick" at idle.<p>Things have changed. Hydraulic lifters, and now with HLAs in overhead cam engines, have caused 99% of the "tick" to disapear. <p>Disregard the suggestion to use better gas. I believe the others have confused "tick" with "ping."<p>Hope the history lesson helps to understand the "systemic" reason for the "tick"
Stan W.
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

I put 5w30 in my car recently, and the tick is MUCH improved. I suggest that, unless you are in a very cold climate. In that case you will have to stick with 10w30.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”