K&N Air Filter

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Jarod

K&N Air Filter

Post by Jarod »

Hey guys, just wanted to tell you that I bought a K&N Air filter (not the cold air), and it makes all the difference. The car has more pep, and you can tell more air is getting to the engine. For $75can, it was well worth it. In my opinion, the air box on the mx-3 is setup in a good way, it just needed a better filter. It says it guarentees 5-10HP, and i'll tell you, you'll get at least 5 for sure.<p>Jarod
94 MX-3
jpwmx3

Re: K&N Air Filter

Post by jpwmx3 »

That's the way mine was too. It was great. But since my accordian rubber intake hose has cracked, I replaced the whole thing with a CAI now. I noticed no difference after doing this.
jamario

Post by jamario »

Same here, I felt a difference when I slapped my K&N on my car. Especially on the highway with my vents open I feel more air coming through the vents than a stock filter.
IF LIFE DOESN'T OFFER A GAME WORTH PLAYING, THEN INVENT ONE.
nksmx-3

Post by nksmx-3 »

I cant realy say that I noticed a difference when I put mine In. although I put mine in right after I bought my car So I dont remember how it used to feel.
late night conversations turn into a fight, and all the years youve been frustrated finaly subside, and you walk away, to face the day, alone.
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mario:
Same here, I felt a difference when I slapped my K&N on my car. Especially on the highway with my vents open I feel more air coming through the vents than a stock filter.<hr></blockquote><p>are you talking about the vents that blow air on you inside of the car??? if so i hope you're joking...they have nothing to do with the air filter...
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

ya, the air that comes in through your interior vents does not come through the engine intake air filter. the intake for your interior vents is @ the base of the windshield. if you leave the fresh air switch on, you will notice airflow coming through during higher speed driving, even with the vent fan off. if you turn on the recirculate switch, this airflow that is induced from the ouside will cease.
-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

straights are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.
Jarod

Post by Jarod »

We're talking about the air filter, nothing to do with air blowing inside the car. The engine sucks air in which must go through the air filter to prevent crap from getting into your engine.<p>Jarod
mx-3
TanWong

Post by TanWong »

are they re washable?
Now i want to sell some parts of my car in order to cover the expense for fixing the car -_-
Jarod

Post by Jarod »

Yes, they are re-washable and come with a lifetime warranty.<p>You'll never have to replace the filter again.<p>Jarod 94 MX-3
1.6L DOHC
LongJohn

Post by LongJohn »

I ran across this post searching for replacement air filters. I found the K&N web site (http://www.knfilterchargers.com) and looked up the equation for calculating required air filter sizes. The stock air filter (and hence the K&N replacement) is 10x7 inches. Even if you assume 1/2 of it is wasted space because of the trimmed off corner and the edges, that would be 35 sq. in. I would guess it is closer to 40-50 sq. in.

According to the K&N equation, a 1.6L at 5000 RPM would need 23.4 sq. in., and the BP at 6500 RPM would need 34.3 sq. in. It seems that using this K&N replacement filter would be fine.

Any thoughts?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

you can buy other brand filters, accel's yellow filter says to outperform k&n, then fram carries their air hog, holley got one too.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
h8ter

Post by h8ter »

I put mine in about a month ago and I love it since I'll never have to buy another filter again. I cannot say I feel more power but it didn't run any slower so that's better then nothing. No adverse effects on fuel economy either, although K&N adertises increased fuel economy. My own previous experiences with K&N's (CAI's) is that you tend to use more fuel due to the increased intake volume or just begin a little more lead-footed. I am very happy with it simply becuz its a better quality filter as comared to them paper jobs.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”