The mysterious hose. Is it the Idle solution?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
sapper

The mysterious hose. Is it the Idle solution?

Post by sapper »

The other day, my car started to idle high, at around 1300 RPM. This only happens durring cold starts, and when the clutch is depressed (Before I even get moving!) If I let off the clutch the RPM's drop to 1000. This has never happened before and my idle was at around 650 - 750 before hand. Today while searching this site for possible solutions, I decided to look under the hood, and staring me right in the face was a hose that had possibly become detached. Does anyone know what this hose is for, what switch or sensor its connected to, where the detached end belongs and what it has done to my car not being attached? I've taken some pics so here they are.<p>The MX3 is a 94 with a 4 cyl DOHC. Any ideas?<p>Pics of hose and sensor<p>[ April 28, 2003: Message edited by: sapper ]</p>
I saw a street sign yesterday that said Caution! Children playing! so I slowed down. Then I thought Wait! I'm not afraid of children!
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: The mysterious hose. Is it the Idle solution?

Post by Custommx3 »

hoseview3.jpg<p>thats where it goes. Its a vaccume line for the airbox.
sapper

Post by sapper »

I dont know how long I've been driving around like this for, but will it have done any damage to my engine? Would it have been causing the idle problem?<p>[ April 28, 2003: Message edited by: sapper ]</p>
I saw a street sign yesterday that said Caution! Children playing! so I slowed down. Then I thought Wait! I'm not afraid of children!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

That is just a vent hose for the EGR system. It is normally in the airbox and not under vaccum. Shouldn't make a difference on your idle. Mine is not disconnected since I no longer have an EGR system.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
MX3chicago

Post by MX3chicago »

thank god the SOHC dont have all the vacum this vacum that
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by cjthor:
That is just a vent hose for the EGR system. It is normally in the airbox and not under vaccum. Shouldn't make a difference on your idle. Mine is not disconnected since I no longer have an EGR system.<hr></blockquote><p>when mines unplugged I do get an erratic idle. If its blocked off, the engine dies.
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

I have mine unplugged as I made a custom CAI and didn't want to run the hose into it. I put a little filter on the end and zip-tied it out of view, and I haven't had any problems.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
sapper

Post by sapper »

Well I pluged it in, and started to drive to work tonight. Everything was "alright" for the first 2Km's, and then out of no where it stalled on me doing 60KM/h! wtf? I was in the center lane at a busy intersection (Coming off the second narrows bridge, turning left onto hastings if anyone knows where that is). I was luckly comming to a stop at a red light. When I started the car back up, it sputterd for a few seconds then died again. So again I started it, and the same thing happened. I had to start it the third time and keep reving the engine to keep it from stalling. When I got the chance to pull over a hundred meters later, I unpluged the hose and everything was normal again. <p>What was causing it to stall? Is there a sensor that needs to be replaced, or are the hoses cloged?
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

I have no idea but if I was you I would just leave it unplugged. LOL Put a little filter on it though.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”