Failing Emissions

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
RanMan

Failing Emissions

Post by RanMan »

Ok...here is a good one for ya.<p>Our car is a 94 RS. It runs good and strong. It does not smoke, use oil, or water. The car only has about 90,000miles on it. I went to have it tested and it failed emissions. I have changed the oil, spark plugs, plug wires, ran injector cleaner through the fuel, had the injectors removed and professionally cleaned, checked my timing (right on the money), checked my idle set screw (with the ECM bypassed) and the idle is perfect, replaced the O2 sensor, checked air filter, used methanol in my fuel (to reduce emissions), and have had a diagnosics (hooked into the computer) run 3 times. The Check Engine light does NOT come on, the diagnosics come back negative, but still, the car fails emissions on the HC (hydrocarbons) section....all other areas are fine. I have tried to have my car inspected 4 times at $45 (each time you get 2 tries....that makes 8 attempts....)....and it fails the HC each time. I finally got it inspected by adjusting the timing till it passed (actually the inspection tech did that....cost me like $60 extra too). It is now inspected, but I fear I am going to have the same issue next year...since they only adjusted the timing to MAKE it pass, then changed it back.....to what it is supposed to be. I know that the HC is unburned fuel, so the car is running rich...thus the reason I changed plugs, wires, checked timing, and replaced the O2 sensor. Any ideas as to what might cause this? I dont know where to start next....the only few things left that determine air/fuel mixture are the ECM, MAF, and injectors. I would rather not have to start replacing those items in a process of elimination to correct this. I thought it might be the cat convertor, but that should not really effect the HC level...mainly the NOX and CO2. So what do you guys think?<p>[ February 21, 2003: Message edited by: RanMan ]</p>
MX-3 Ricer

Re: Failing Emissions

Post by MX-3 Ricer »

My car was failing the hydrocarbons part of the test, All I had to do was replace the cat. converter<p>[ February 21, 2003: Message edited by: MX-3 Ricer ]</p>
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

I failed the hydro-carbon part too, I had a blown head gasket.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

well...I know it is NOT the head gasket. The oil is fine...not milky.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”