Cost of replacing the water pump, timing belt and two ot

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
GirlFight

Cost of replacing the water pump, timing belt and two ot

Post by GirlFight »

I recently bought my 1994 MX-3 and have had to replace the water pump, due to a leak, and overheating of the engine, and I figured I might as well replace the timing belt and two other little "belts" along with it. The mechanic also filled up all the fluids (ie brake, powersteering, antifreeze, oil, etc), and charged me $400 for the job. Has anyone else had this problem, and how much did the repair cost you or what is a fair price for this sort of work (considering the pieces changed)? Thanks for the info!
None but ourselves can free our minds... (Bob Marley)
MX-West Car Club

Re: Cost of replacing the water pump, timing belt and two ot

Post by MX-West Car Club »

That's about what I paid for mine a few weeks ago. I also had my valve cover gasket replaced as well. It's mainly the labour cost that kills. :(
Kevin Gee - President
MX-West Car Club
93 White MX-3 1.6RS
www.mx-west.com
92RedMX3

Post by 92RedMX3 »

Yeah, plus I am guessing its the timing belt that cost really.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I've had this done several times over the years and it costed me just above $300. It depends on the mechanic, cause the water pump and belts are like $60. The labor is 2-3 hours, so some mechanics charge $80hr and some $50hr, and that makes a big difference.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

Woooow, maybe its just cause I'm doing a swap there, but getting a new timing belt, plus replacing all of my seals and water pump, and putting all new fluids in my car is only gonna be about $200, and they're putting my ACT clutch on for free.<p>[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: 992mmx3 ]</p>
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
powerman_5000

Post by powerman_5000 »

Other than paying for parts installing it was free. It took about three days to do it, but that's because I worked on it for only a couple of hours at a time. Some of the bolts where quite a pain in the *** to take off and put on and making sure the timing was straight took a while, but besides that the rest was pretty easy. If you do it yourself don't buy any of the parts from autozone, advance auto parts, or pepboys because there price is to high.

Post by Guest »

damn......pump, power steering belt and another belt cost me bout 175cnd it was a smaller shop 10 min away from my house....
gutszi

Post by gutszi »

I paid $400 CND for a new rad installed. of course I just drove up and he waited for the part and then just slapped it in, he was chargeing 55/hr. and previously use to own a mx-3. I talked with him he seems pretty knowledgeable about cars. I found my new mechanic.
gutszi
"the Stupid One"
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

i paid $7 a piece for my accessory belts, of which there were 2(1 for the alternator & water pump, another for the power steering pump and air conditioner compressor). i replaced them in my own garage with simple tools in a matter of 2 hours. the only reason it took so long is that this was my first time changing the belts on the car ever. the only one that gave my trouble was the power steering pump because it's connecting hoses aren't long enough for the pump to swivel freely, you'll need some muscle to move the pump and belt into position, be carefult to not damage the power steering pump hoses. my experience is, if you posess the ability to change your own oil, u can change your belts :D ...good luck!
-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

straights are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”