My (possible) turbo set up

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Timmyd865

My (possible) turbo set up

Post by Timmyd865 »

Hey guys, respond to anything that seems out of order or uneeded and anything needed! Here's what I've found on the net. Please answer any question i ask throughout the list :) <p>1. mercury capri xr-2 turbo exahust manifold - $75.
2. T-25 turbo from a Second gen. eclipse (how easy is it to bolt up to the manifold?!??!) - $200
3. Supra side mount intercooler (to be front mounted, or facing downward w/bottom scoop) - $150
4. ACT clutch (price unavailable)(anyone know the price of an ACT clutch? I hear that's the best)
5. Rx-7 first gen. fuel pump - $70
6. 330 cc fuel injectors - $200-$300
7. custom exahust from the downpipe - $300ish
8. Boost gauge - $50
9. FPR - $ 80
10. Possible to reprogram ECU - $200ish, or a SAFM (price unknown, anyone know?)
11. Miscollenious parts i.e. hoses, pipes etc - $80ish
Total = maximum $1,775<p>
I've been reading maximum boost, and they make it seem more possible to me to turbo charge my current engine, the b6ze, then to swap engines. It just seems more appealing to me. Tell me what you think, and try and answer any of my billion questions! thanx
16" Sport Edition Fox 2's, Yokohama H4's, Eclipse CD player, Eclipse components, MTX amp, Lightning Audio woofers in a custom fiber glass enclosure, custom intake, factory spoiler installed, reverse indiglo gauges, custom switch panel<p> :) www.geocities.com/timsmx3
marshmallow15

Re: My (possible) turbo set up

Post by marshmallow15 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Timmyd865:

1. mercury capri xr-2 turbo exahust manifold - $75.
2. T-25 turbo from a Second gen. eclipse (how easy is it to bolt up to the manifold?!??!) - $200
3. Supra side mount intercooler (to be front mounted, or facing downward w/bottom scoop) - $150
4. ACT clutch (price unavailable)(anyone know the price of an ACT clutch? I hear that's the best)
5. Rx-7 first gen. fuel pump - $70
6. 330 cc fuel injectors - $200-$300
7. custom exahust from the downpipe - $300ish
8. Boost gauge - $50
9. FPR - $ 80
10. Possible to reprogram ECU - $200ish, or a SAFM (price unknown, anyone know?)
11. Miscollenious parts i.e. hoses, pipes etc - $80ish
Total = maximum $1,775
<hr></blockquote><p>1. make sure that manifold fits...if not i'd just get the dohc manifold from corksport.com.
2. if you need help bolting it to the manifold, check out jgtools.com for custom adapter plates/gaskets.
3. i find the starion-STYLE fmic more appealing and show-worthy...but its up to you.
5. im pretty sure you need the 2nd generation NON-TURBO fuel pump, not the 1st generation.
7. what size tubing you planning? 2.25"
10. im going with the apexi s-afc for my ecu...its better than reprogramming the ecu because you can do so much more with it and plus if you decided to change a/f settings, im sure you can't do that with a reprogrammed ecu unless you reprogram it again. retail price is around $370ish but you can get them for $340 or less on ebay.<p>to my knowledge, you'll also need to do the following:
- internal build-up and more tuning for running more than 10-13psi.
- 90-94 protege lx transmission and axles (bolts up)
- 90-94 protege lx ecu (not sure if necessary but i know some people on here did it)
- 90-94 protege lx injectors should be good for low boost levels
- 90-94 pro lx act #z33-xt00 clutch (in order to work with g-series pro lx tranny)
- 90-94 pro lx lightened flywheel (in order to work with g-series pro lx tranny)<p>some of the info MIGHT be incorrect...but ive done a lot of research in turbocharging my b6e. ;)
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

I would go with a t3 turbo, custom manifold&downpipe. a rrfpr with 12:1 ratio. b6t injectors. go with a walbro 190lph fuel pump. the act is a nice clutch kit( just installed one on a sohc turbo project) around $350. go with a small front mount intercooler. also get an egt gauge and an air fuel gauge. skip the safc and ecu reprogramming, the rrfpr and upgraded injectors should get the job done..
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

what does the RR in 'rrfpr' stand for? also will those b6t injectors fit the b6e?
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

rising rate is what rr stands for ( you dont read enough super street :p ) and yes the injectors would fit i believe
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

Cost for clutch approximately $348.00.<p>As far as what your doing with fuel, you might want to stick with 8PSI and stock fuel pump no RRFPR at first. I say this because with those bigger injectors you may already already be running rich like my setup.<p>What I am doing is slowing leaning it out by upgrading the ignition system first and if I need to get it richer I will add the fuel pump later.
If you add all those mods at once you may just be blowing tons of black smoke out your tell pipe and the damn they will probably stall all the time until you get the mixture right.<p>Just my Opinion, but from experience.
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kick @#$ Mazda:
As far as what your doing with fuel, you might want to stick with 8PSI and stock fuel pump no RRFPR at first. I say this because with those bigger injectors you may already already be running rich like my setup.<hr></blockquote><p>just a quick question to get my setup straight (sorry if off-topic)...so stock fuel pump and upgraded injectors would be a good fuel setup for low boost on the b6e?<p>if i plan to raise boost to around 12, will an adjustable fpr and upgraded fuel pump be sufficient with the a/f tuning? (this excludes internals)<p>[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: marshmallow15 ]</p>
- team slideways
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

Yeah, go with the apexi super afc,only way to go unless doing a stand alone system.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

oh yeah, and i'm also going with a supra intercooler. :D
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

the rising rate regulator and b6t injectors should easily be enough for 12 psi. if not more
Timmyd865

Post by Timmyd865 »

So no need for an seperate ecu controler or a standalone? Just the injerctors, pump, and rrfpr will do? Also, the MAFS, does that go after the turbo or before it? Thanx!
16" Sport Edition Fox 2's, Yokohama H4's, Eclipse CD player, Eclipse components, MTX amp, Lightning Audio woofers in a custom fiber glass enclosure, custom intake, factory spoiler installed, reverse indiglo gauges, custom switch panel<p> :) www.geocities.com/timsmx3
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

put the mafs on the intake side of the turbo.. and for 12 psi no piggyback is needed, or standalone for that matter..
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

On the B6E Setup it is real easy to run rich for a couple of reasons.<p>The ECU does not really see the engine under boost rather N/A.<p>Also if the BOV blows into the atmosphere it can also run richer than if you put in back into the intake side of the turbo after the MAFS.<p>What I would suggest is go ahead install the turbo, A/F Ratio Gauge, and the injectors and see how it is running. Then if you want upgrade the ignition system. If you do a piggyback system do it after you install the MSD SCI or what ever brand you want. Or if you go with a standalone system do that. Either way get your system running and tune it after your satisfied with the performance.
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

What rising rate pressure regulator does everyone reccomend? Vortech? I've been lookin around and just want some input.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> What I would suggest is go ahead install the turbo, A/F Ratio Gauge, and the injectors and see how it is running. <hr></blockquote> <p> There is no way to richen the mixture upon boost with this method... injectors alone do not meet the fuel requirements for boost. the rrfpr is a safe way to richen the mixture by increasing fuel pressure at the injector itself.<p>
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> Then if you want upgrade the ignition system. If you do a piggyback system do it after you install the MSD SCI or what ever brand you want. Or if you go with a standalone system do that. Either way get your system running and tune it after your satisfied with the performance. <hr></blockquote> <p>
Im not sure what you mean by this but, why wouldnt you do this as a part of the turbo kit. And if you are testing your performance without some sort of fuel enrichment,, your prolly not going to have much performance after that..
basic rule-- more air = more fuel. it doesnt matter how u do it, you gotta have it--or melted pistons.<p>As for the rrfpr, the vortech is a very nice unit and has been prooven worthy by many miata turbo owners. standard rate is 12:1. if you are also adjusting the base fuel pressure you will need an adjustable one. <p>[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: boostedmx ]<p>[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: boostedmx ]</p>

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”