1.6 SOHC project

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
pulse101

1.6 SOHC project

Post by pulse101 »

Hey -<P>I have been rebuilding a 1.6l SOHC (and i know that you all may think i am crazy).<P>So far, Here is what has happened:<P>Head - machined, valve job, port and polish. So far the cam is stock. I'd like to know about the camshaft from Gude as well, I'd be interested in that.<P>Block - bored .2 over, new pistons, oil pump, bearings - crank was in great shape.<P>question 1: does anyone have an extra camshaft sprocket or know about aftermarket possibilities? it looks as if mine was bent while at the machine shop.<P>question 2: anyone have some tips for rebuilding? i have started to reassemble the head and block. <P>question 3: are there any gaskets for the oil pan? or is it silicone sealant only?<P>I am looking for any and all ideas. anyone with any tips on rebuilding the 1.6 sohc would be appreciated. thanks..<P>jeremy
1992 White MX3 1.6l SOHC
- For Sale - 105,000 miles / 3,000 miles on engine
- Original B6 Bored 2 Over
- Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
- Short Shifter
- Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
- KYB GR-2 Shocks/Struts
- Steel Braided Front Brake Lines
- Reverse indiglo gauges and carbon fiber trim
- Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars
- 17" Sumitomo Tires on Anthracite/Chrome Loco Wheels
Shady469
Supporting Member

Re: 1.6 SOHC project

Post by Shady469 »

it's good to see somebody is finally gonna play with the SOHC. It's a decent motor (i've had honda guys who rode in the car swear it was a DOHC).<BR>Definately talk to Gude about the cam. Hopefully i'll be getting mine ground here pretty soon.<BR>I got a UR pulley and it really helped out(car pulls ALOT harder to redline).<BR>then there are the generics: Jacobs I.C.E.Pak works pretty well,RX-7 MAF helped some, S-AFC helped smooth out some spots, got a 2.5" highflow cat. to 2.25" piping, strait through muffler... all this stuff has helped out in its own way. <BR>i would recommend getting ur flywheel shaved/resurfaced and look into an aftermarket clutch. also protege injectors and ecu wouldnt hurt.<BR>hope this helps.<p>[ November 28, 2002: Message edited by: Shady469 ]
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
maldo

Post by maldo »

Be careful what pistons you get, had a bad experience with Topline. Blew the ring lands off at 4psi. <P>When assembling the block, make sure everything is torqued to spec and balanced. Watch the crank snout. Ensure that you measure the gaps in the rings before installing the pistons/rings in the bores.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeremy:<BR><STRONG>I have been rebuilding a 1.6l SOHC (and i know that you all may think i am crazy).<BR>jeremy</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>that makes two of us bro. keep us updated.<P>hey shady how well did that jacobs pack work for ya?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

the only bad thing i heard about the pulleys is that it throws the balencer off cuz pre-mature wear on the water pump(i think)some1 please let me know if im wrong
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

aaaaah, so refreshing to see someone working on the SOHC, looks like you've done a lot of work on it, its a good motor, just as good as any civic motor.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

for the pistons i would go with the arias set. they come with matched rings and cost around 500 bucks. i talked to them before i got the wisecos for my car and the only reason i didnt get them was because they were custom made and the wiseco's are used frequently in the miata with good results. as for assembling, the process is very easy but can be screwed up easily also. i would recomend you have the engine built by a machine shop. beacause you havent used and upgraded rods or anything else i would have them balance and blueprint the engine to exact specs. this will let your engine operate smoothly and handle the added power. plus its not expensive at all, usually around 300-400 total. ;)
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
pulse101

Post by pulse101 »

I should have spent a little more time with my post.<P>as for the block, I had all of that work done at a machine shop (600$) and had them do all of the reassembly as well. the pistons are ITM brand. They seemed like a quality product. FYI, the original pistons had some scraping along the sides from some slop in the jug.<P>Also, I have a centerforce Dual Friction clutch sitting in the box here, ready to be installed.<P>Other parts that I have purchased already are a new water pump, cross drilled rotors, new calipers.<P>I know I need to replace the timing belt. Would others recommend replacing the tensioner and idler? The car had 110 K miles on it before the rebuild.<P>Anyone that can point me to some places to get that camshaft sprocket would be helpful, as this part will start to hold me up soon.<P>I am going to get a webpage going soon with all of the upgrades.
1992 White MX3 1.6l SOHC
- For Sale - 105,000 miles / 3,000 miles on engine
- Original B6 Bored 2 Over
- Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
- Short Shifter
- Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
- KYB GR-2 Shocks/Struts
- Steel Braided Front Brake Lines
- Reverse indiglo gauges and carbon fiber trim
- Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars
- 17" Sumitomo Tires on Anthracite/Chrome Loco Wheels
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

it'd be best to replace your belts now rather than have to do it after the engine's been dropped in. less hassle.
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

another note of inspiration for us sohc owners: just because baseline hp is 88 doesnt mean its a slow motor. it can be fully built and run a high hp rating and can run with the big boys while taking up less fuel and weight as well. its also a rare one-of-a-kind mod.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... =forum&f=3" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... rum&f=3</A> for pics of fully built sohcs.
- team slideways
Manach

Post by Manach »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marshmallow15:<BR><STRONG><BR> <A HREF="http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... =forum&f=3" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... rum&f=3</A> for pics of fully built sohcs.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That links bring us back to the 4cylinders board..
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

- team slideways
Cybin

Post by Cybin »

Did you get the head decked at all? I mean the stock compression is something weak like 9.2 to 1 or something. It would be kewl to raise the compression ratio to be something like 9.5 or 9.8 to 1. <P>I wondering if the valves would clear the pistons?<P>-Cybin....

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”