Idle Problems

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Sublime68-96

Idle Problems

Post by Sublime68-96 »

Hi,<BR> I have had the same idle problem as some of have also experienced (I will be driving for awhile and randomly at a stop light when I put it in neurtal, the rpms either go really low or occasionally it will die, every time its been after I've been drivning it for awhile). I've read them over and have tried just about every suggestion you have had (tune up, resetting ecu, check vaccum hoses, check alternator) and it's still around. Just today I noticed while rolling up my power windows, I held them both down a little longer after they were up and the car just sputtered and died. Thanks alot for looking at this and hopefully someone will know what's wrong with my car.
Ryencool

Re: Idle Problems

Post by Ryencool »

I have the same exact problem, even the whoel power window deal. I messed with my idle screw today, and noticed a diffrence, but didnt get to drive it that ,ong cause I was goin to work a couple miles away.. car didnt studder there or back though
92 red rs
performance exhaust
zx2 struts and Eibach springs
turboed + stand alone when the cash is there
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Man it seems like every mx3 has this problem. Yours dies though?? Mine doesnt die, the RPMS just go up and down for a little bit, then it stops. I honestly think it may be a computer problem or a sensor problem, because its so random....just idling fine....then all of a sudden it decides to act up....just my 2 cents...
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

i have the same problem with my mx-3. when my lights are on (auto) and im at a stop light my idle jumps up and down.BUT GUESS WHAT!!!!!i found out (well in my car anyway) when you press the defogger button at a light it lowers the idle but keeps it stable hope it works for you guys!!!good luck (remember the defogger is on a timer system after 20 mins it shuts off by it self!)
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

by the way i dont think its random i noticed it only happens when the fan kicks on (also lights on and in gear)give me some feed back to see if it only works on my car!
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
Sublime68-96

Post by Sublime68-96 »

My idle has been bad for quite awhile now and just on thursday it got worse and worse and actually died on me 3xs. I took it into a shop to see whats wrong and they said its a bad head gasket. Now I'm debating if my neighbor (whose capable of doing this) and I should do it or if i should leave it to the shop.
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

my car does it too it happens at every stop light so as im slowing down i just pop it in neutral. when my rpms jump up and down my car shakes like crazy and every little piece that is slightly loose rattles. the other day the rattle got worse and come to find out my headlights were loose. i tried raising my idle and that helped slightly. my dad says i should try injector cleaner. might have to do that one day
MX-Dan

Post by MX-Dan »

You should also check your motor mounts. One of mine is torn apart and I have'nt replaced it yet but that will cause rattling etc. I hope it will fix my idle prob too.

Post by Guest »

ok i have the same problem and i noticed whenever i hit my brakes when im stopped it'll do it too, im just assuming i need a new battery, since it seems to do with low energy, i dont know just a thought, also some of you might have a prob with your idle valve thing, i did and my car would rev up and down when i was at stops, and it cost 900 to get fixed!!! to bad i didnt know about this board at the time or i probably coulda got one for like 50 bucks, anyways later!
NFStewy

Post by NFStewy »

Had the same problem, when a load was put on the engin the tac would drop. I have an 93 4Cly automatic and my friend and I cleaned out air filter, after that we thought it might be a Idleing censor. When the car stops the engin dosent take in extra air to maintain the rpms. We belive the extra air increases combustion in the engin to comphensate for the load. well we did ent get a chance to investgate any futher because the F#*&?$% transmission went. The worst thing about that is the only compatible parts that are from a 92 or 93 great! to buy a new auto tranny $3200cn I paid a grand for the car. Well best of luck! :p
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i had the same problem until my disty broke....those are expensive to replace.i had a bad pulse sensor<BR>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Ryencool

Post by Ryencool »

somone said its a failing headgasket, makes sense to me...the car is loosing compression at idel causeing it to stall out..I have the same problem, and freakuent refills of coolant..so if you have this problem too then your head gasketis going and coolant is going into your engine, and you should see smoke come out when its starts for a sec...
92 red rs
performance exhaust
zx2 struts and Eibach springs
turboed + stand alone when the cash is there
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

ok im pretty sure i posted this b4 i fixed the idle problem if you guys want the solution its gonna cost (trust me it will work!)im only gonna charge ......$10 per person!sike just kidding i i inserted a jumper wire in terminal ten and ground keep it there for about a min. or two (when inserted the rpms jump up) it will stay that way till you remove the jumper wire remember wire in rpm up wire out rpm falls back down too where ever it was b4 (nows a good time to adjust ur idle if its too low or too high)ok like i said this worked for me if this works for any1 else please let me know i wanna see if this mx-3 problem could be elimated.
bish

Post by bish »

I had the same problem, just that my car died on me totally. The RPM gauge would only jump around before I got my alternator replaced; after it completely died on me.<P>It don't do it anymore at all; I'd get that checked out?
Cybin

Post by Cybin »

Okay first thing first... a bad head gasket is not your problem. Mine did the same thing everyone elses does. I unplugged the Air by-pass valve and it fixed the problem. locate you throttle body. under it you see the air by pass valve. between it and the firewall you'll see a plug.... unplug it. Your idle will be higher. You can find the air bypass by finding the hose that comes out of the valve cover follow it to the air bypass valve. <P>The air bypass valve opens when you let off the throttle. Let's enough air in to idle and also sucks in the fumes from your valve cover. Hence it gets pretty dirty. It costs $230 plus to repair it. I'm going to clean mine out to see if i can fix it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”