resonator problem

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
??????

resonator problem

Post by ?????? »

I need help I have a 92 mx-3 4cyl im running just a straight pipe and tip no muffler i know its prolly illegal but i live in ohio and we have no noise limit for from what i know and im not really worried about it anyway but my prob is that in 1st if i run it to about 4500rpm it will open up and sound like s--- 2nd is better but will openb around 5000 I wanted to know if this is caused by the resonator and if taking it off will solve that problem even if it makes it louder i just need to get rid of that nasty sound when it opens up it sounds like i dont have any exhaust at all :-( oh and its a stick to to let ya know :) plz help!!
Freq2002

Re: resonator problem

Post by Freq2002 »

Look at the post here titled "Exaust" Lots of info there. Might find whatya need there.
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

Yeah I have a 93 RS (same thing) and I'm using 2" with a straigh through muffler and a glasspack as resonator. The sound is nice but loud (to my opinion). I used to run (for like 3 months) only the current muffler w/o resonator and I was getting the crappy sound probably are talking about. But in your case I'm not sure that only a resonator will do the job. Your set up must be so damn loud.
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
Tman

Post by Tman »

My friend had that on his prelude before he got his muffler put on, and it just sounded like a loud rachet when it opened up. He took his resonator off and put a racing muffler on...and now it sounds awsome.
R.I.P. September 25th @ 2:55 p.m. - 93 Mx-3 RS :-(

Post by Guest »

I'm looking into a straight threw muffler, are they any good? I'm hoping its gonna be pretty damn loud.
??????

Post by ?????? »

ya it is loud but sounds nice till it opens up whats funny is it will open up at 4500 in 1st then by 5500 it will go back to a deep tone so i dont know if its the resonator or i have a leak somewere but ya all i have is a cat and a resonator and from there on its just a 2" pipe all the way back to a tip

Post by Guest »

What RPM does everyone shift at when just driving down the road? I shift at 3500 RPMS, if I'm pusing it I'll shift at 4000. Rarely do I go past 4500. Is that bad or what? I'm trying to baby the engine right now.
??????

Post by ?????? »

it can be bad but really most stress is on your clutch when you shift that high i brought mine to redline dont do it much but its fun once in awhile just dont bring it high all the time i usually shift at 4000 or 4500 in first and second and 3rd i might take it to 5000 or just to 3000 depends what kinda road im on

Post by Guest »

Aight, thanks =)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”