1992 MX-3 Owners!!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
PSE95

1992 MX-3 Owners!!!

Post by PSE95 »

Hey everyone, I was thinkin about purchasing a 1992 MX-3 (4 banger) I wanted to hear from some people about what they had to say about theirs! I think the interior isn't that bad, but I want to hear about the rest ya'll have to say and a lil sumptin sumptin about those seat belts I keep on hearing about! I am gettin this car because it is beautiful and with a BTP it would be hella good ride! Thanks alot! -JD
Shady469
Supporting Member

Re: 1992 MX-3 Owners!!!

Post by Shady469 »

ive got got a 92 SOHC 4cyl. with a couple few mods: S-AFC, custom intake, Exhaust, Ignition, UR pulley and she gets up and goes pretty well. but not well enough... soon i'll be swapping in a B6T and well see how that goes. but its great fun for the time being. w/ my 17's on i ran (1/8th) a 10.9, i was impressed considering a neon w/ a stratus motor in it could only eek out a 10.7
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
PSE95

Post by PSE95 »

thanks for replying, any convo on those seatbelts? maybe a bit more on the pros and cons of 1992 as to 1994! Thanks! -JD
??????

Post by ?????? »

i have a 92 the belt were bad but the last owner had the factory replace which is free anyway cause they had a defect but i like my 92 the only big dif is the 92 is sohc 88hp 98 lbtq and 94 is 105hp and 100 lbtq and has a nicer dash witch im about to put in my 92 cause it looks a lot better
PSE95

Post by PSE95 »

can you swap the dash??? and the interior panels? 88hp huh? hmm... they didn't make a DOHC?
??????

Post by ?????? »

they have a dohc just 92 isnt and yes the dash can be swapped with some work but not easy have to split some wires and such but ya 92 is sohc with 88hp i think somewere in 93 or all are dohc and from there up are dohc but mine is 88 hp i did some mods and it runs nice could be quicker thats why im getting a header but if you get any and want atleast some accell dont get a auto stick is much better but hey thats my opinion
PSE95

Post by PSE95 »

I was readin through all these posts and I heard alot about the b6 but not much about the BTP, from what I hear that is the one that's better... There is a post where a few people are telling this guy about everything he needs to do for his b6, with the BTP is everthing that crazy? Needing a hood scoop, I thought it kinda fit in with a few mods and a better tranny??? Am I wrong?
??????

Post by ?????? »

the really big dif is that the b6t is cheaper easyer to find and easyer to put in but the btp has more power so go buy how much ya wanna pay and how long ya wanna wait or how much work you wanna do b6t is basicly pretty much bolt right in with the basic mods for a turbo the btp you need to get a better tranny and clutch to but both with some other simple mods can get good power so it depends on how much ya wanna pay and work
PSE95

Post by PSE95 »

I really wanted to do the work myself (and some friends) mainly to save money and for the experience. I'm from AZ if there are any MX-3 Owners up here who wanna chat. ???? Where you from? I am thinkin the BPT because it seems easier and well work the swap. How much would you expect to pay for a 1992 w/ 160,000 miles? in alright cond. kelley says 1825?!? What would be a bargain? What mods you have "?????"
??????

Post by ?????? »

here i just found this it will help you need all these if you want the BTP<P>1. Mazda BPT GTX/GTR Engine (GTR Preferable) <BR>1a. Good ball bearing turbo (I am using T05) <BR>2. Gearbox from 1.8L DOHC Protege (Prepared to blow 1 or 2 of this) <BR>3. Custom C.V joint and drive shaft (Need to be strong) <BR>4. Custom intercooler (As large as possible) <BR>5. Custom stainless extractor with 3" mendral bend exhaust system <BR>6. Wolf 3D ECU (It has wiring harness for this engine) <BR>7. Electronic boost controller (HKS, Apexi, Greedy) <BR>8. Boost, A/F, Water Temp. gauges <BR>9. Heavy duty clutch <BR>10. Brake enhancement (At least pads and crossed rotor for F&R) <BR>11. Custom radiator (I cannot find anything 2nd hand fits) <BR>12. Custom Oil and Air seperator <BR>13. Custom Water overflow tank <BR>14. Good dyno for tuning <BR>15. A lot of spare time and money!!! <P>i can tell you all the things needed for the B6T and a site for it to if ya want
??????

Post by ?????? »

me i payed 600 for a 92 4cyl needed some paint thats it lol i just got lucky it has 132478 miles on it and im in OH i have a custom intake and exhaust some good plugs wires my filter is k&n nothing really big yet but the B6T is easyer really just less hp the BTP
PSE95

Post by PSE95 »

wow that sounds like a nice deal, I am trying to buy one from this guy down the street but I dunno. I'd really like to hear as much info as possible on any of these subjects... "???" what's your fav thing about the 1992? I am thinkin that year because it isn't that expensive!!!! What else is there to know? ANyone have a test pipe?
??????

Post by ?????? »

well i just like it and the car is just cool right now i have a fx designs ill give ya the site to check it out but hey it says 88hp but mine runs pretty good took a civic ex (at track) if ya can get a 94 or better year or just dohc it will prolly be better just every 1 here says the auto is bad so hope its sticj if ya want it to be fast <A HREF="http://www.fxdesigns.com" TARGET=_blank>www.fxdesigns.com</A> has a nice body kit for it :) i have the nose just if ya get stuff like that be prepard to have trouble lining stuff up oh ya if your getting the B6T or BPT swap any year is fine no dif then sep dase which i said can be swaped
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

I have a '92-RS and love it. It gets great gas milage-35MPG, looks amazing, and is fairly easy to work on. I paid 3k for mine with 112k miles on it.<P>If I could have gotten a latter year I probably would have: better interior & engine.<P>The automatic seat belts take a while to get used to, but I prefer them to regular ones now. If you get more than minimum insurance on your car this helps your rate too.<P>I'd check for all the normal things on a used car: leaking fluids, exaust smoke, etc. <P>If you KNOW you'll want more power, it'd probably be cheaper to get a GS and upgrade to a KLZE, which is usually cheaper and much easier than the BPT/B6T swaps from what I've heard.
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”