my dieing 4cyl powerplant

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jolly_onion007

my dieing 4cyl powerplant

Post by jolly_onion007 »

I have a 94 rs with the 4cyl DOHC engine. I currently have 235,000 miles on it and a oil leak on the side of it. Ive owned this car for probably a year to two years and ive tried my best to fix this engine with synthetics and pampering. I upgraded the spark plugs and found oil in the right cyl chamber. I just recently got exhaust put on and the guy said it may be the Distributor cap O-ring. Does anybody know what may be the problem??? Should i rebuild engine or maybe find replacement? Also, does anybody know of any other engines that would fit in a RS? I know the 6cyl takes alot of custom work to make it fit. Help Me!!! i love my mazda
I own a 94 mx-3 with alot of mileage on it,...hasnt let me down yet and i want everyone to know that a mx-3 will kick any CRXs a--
torpedan

Re: my dieing 4cyl powerplant

Post by torpedan »

First off take a look at your goals.. are you just out to fix the oil leaks you have or are you out for perofmace..<P>THere are a lot of options for motors you can swap into your car primarly though people stick to the b6t and bpt motors.<P>The distrubers o ring leaking oil is a very common leak for that motor, and it sounds like you have a valuve cover gasket that needs to be replaced to particuallry the rings that seal the spark plug holes..
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.

Post by Guest »

Yeah, 90% of the time it is the O-Ring, I've had that leak twice on my car. Its only got 98 thousand miles on it and its in the shop right now getting the O-Ring, timing belt seals, and valve cover gasket all fixed because their leaking oil.
jolly_onion007

Post by jolly_onion007 »

I figured those were the problems,...I'm looking to upgrade everything to performance but my main concern is the engine. Whats the best I-4 i can get to replace the beat engine i got right now or should i just fix the one i have now up to performance standards??
I own a 94 mx-3 with alot of mileage on it,...hasnt let me down yet and i want everyone to know that a mx-3 will kick any CRXs a--
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

a b6t would be the easiest........<BR>or you can go for<BR>a bp/bpt<BR>that means you need a lot of stuff<P>or you could simply replace the b6e<BR>with one with lower miles<BR>and how did you get 235+ miles on a 94<P>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
majicmike

Post by majicmike »

do a comp. check. some engines can make it past 300,000mi before it's time to rebuild or call it quits.
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jolly_onion007:<BR><STRONG>I have a 94 rs with the 4cyl DOHC engine. I currently have 235,000 miles on it and a oil leak on the side of it. Ive owned this car for probably a year to two years and ive tried my best to fix this engine with synthetics and pampering. I upgraded the spark plugs and found oil in the right cyl chamber. I just recently got exhaust put on and the guy said it may be the Distributor cap O-ring. Does anybody know what may be the problem??? Should i rebuild engine or maybe find replacement? Also, does anybody know of any other engines that would fit in a RS? I know the 6cyl takes alot of custom work to make it fit. Help Me!!! i love my mazda</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If you have an older engine that's leaking oil, synthetics will usually leak worse than conventional oil. You can try a heavier weight synthetic, but it's easier to get away with that here in South Florida than it is anywhere it gets cold. If you use a heavier oil when it's cold, cold-starts take longer for the oil to circulate which is not good.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”