Exhaust question

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
OrlandoMx-er

Exhaust question

Post by OrlandoMx-er »

I really dont like the tinny sounding exhausts which is why i hadnt gotten one yet. Could i take a catback made for another car and cut it right before the muffler and then have it welded on when i get the custom pipe done so i know that im not getting a crappy sounding exhaust?<P>Or are the setup with the catback in mind for optimal efficiency? <P>If the answer is no, what exhaust would anyone recommend so i dont sound like one of those idiot rice racers driving a tin can. I dont want it real loud but i still want people to be able and hear it, not to mention id rather it not hinder the little performance i have.<P>I have a 94 1.6 dohc. Thanks.
drummer0821

Re: Exhaust question

Post by drummer0821 »

i believe there are a limited few cat back exhausts made for our cars, i dont have any of them personally... but u could look into it here: <A HREF="http://www.mx-3.com/am-parts.cfm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mx-3.com/am-parts.cfm</A><P>As for the sound issue.. i know what u mean, i hate those tinny sounding cars. Basically the sound is dependant on how the muffler is made. If the design of it is straight-through, like with some holes punched in the interior pipe with deadening material.. the sound will be deeper. If the muffler has a maze of chambers and pipes and things, it will be more tinny and rattly. GO look for a muffler that is straight through... where u can see the exit from the inlet, and vice versa... you should get a nice sound.<P>Hope that helps
- 93 Mx-3 Rs Auto -<BR>Kenwood Head Unit<BR>Kenwood 600 RMS 2channel amp<BR>2x 12inch Punch XLC subs<BR>Custom made sealed box
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

I have a 94 RS with a full custom exhaust.. Hi flow cat and a flowmaster. It sounds sooooo nice.. Not like any other import I have heard before. Its a tad on the loud side inside but thats prolly cuz i dont have a rear seat and I hear it comin from the trunk.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

There are quite a few high flow mufflers out there that are quiet as well. The Flowmasters series are pretty good since they have baffles to break up the exuast pulse, but have no damping material to make it qieter.<BR>The straight thru design used in the Magnaflow makes for a real nice raw tone, but is basicly a real big glass-pack. Depending on the shape, length, & damping properties, it could sound good, or it will sound like the Hon-duh fart cans.<P>I've got the twin tip 14" Magnaflow in mine now. With a hi flow cat & no resonator, it's like flying in a Cesna. LOUD. Sounds sweet, but gets damn old on long trips.<P>There are a few "turbo" mufflers out there that are quiet & flow real nice. Check with any Midas Muffler shop. I mounted one on my baja beetle with a header & the carbs made more noise under acceleration than the exaust did. :D<BR>Could also look into the Thrush Turbo mufflers. Have heard them on bigger engines & they sounded good.
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

I have this fealing i am the only person on here with a Autozone turbo II muffler...
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
OrlandoMx-er

Post by OrlandoMx-er »

anyone think highly of an apexi muffler at all? From what I hear those are for the Honda boys. You know, the loud tin can sound. It sounds as if the flowmaster is the way to go.
littlemantke

Post by littlemantke »

flowmasters definitly kick @$$ I had my old muffler cut off and didn't even bother putting on a new one. Instead I just had an 18":::: :))))X 3"O Truck tip put on mine and it sound a heck of a lot better than a lot of rice burner that I've recently.
Hondas are for people who don't want to be unique!!!!!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”