No buzzer

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
sheller

No buzzer

Post by sheller »

I just bought a '92 GS and I discovered this last weekend the buzzer that goes off when you leave your lights on doesn't come on. Nor does it go off if you open the driver's side door with the keys in the car. I also noticed that the interior lights don't come on when the door is opened (yes the switch is set for them to come on). At least for the interior light I checked both doors and it won't work for either. The lights do come on though if you press their buttons. Does this mean that both of my door contact switches need replacing or is there something else going on here? Thanks.<BR>Steve
BumpNGlow

Re: No buzzer

Post by BumpNGlow »

there is a fuse marked "interrior"... check that. It controls the buzzer and the lights(as well as I think the radio)
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
sheller

Post by sheller »

The radio works just fine. Also, the lights come on if you press the button for them. They just won't come on automatically when the door is open (and the switch is set for that).
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

I have the same problem, where mine comes on sometimes and sometimes does not. It's a faulty contact in the door pin. You could either take it out and clean it, or just but a new one (junkyard or mazda). I cleaned all my switches (doors, power windows, etc) and they work fine now, but a new switch would have been better.<P>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

The door switch is corroded (Lower right hand corner, looking at the driver's door)... Take out the two screws that hold it in, and take the switch apart. Clean all the corrsion out of there with sandpaper, put it all back together. I had the same problem, and that fixed it. Good luck!
Matthew Monid

1993 MX-3 RS 5-Speed (Sold)/1997 Volvo 850 AWD Turbo 5-Speed
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

also, check with Mazda on the price of a new switch... I think I will be doing that because I had problems with the passenger switch, and I don't feel like spending a lot of time on it.
Matthew Monid

Swego

Post by Swego »

Maybe it's not wear! I just hate that buzzing sound :mad: ! Maybe the last owner disconnected the switch. I know I will when I get time to do it.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

i wanan go it too, or put a switch, cause i like hearing music while leaving my doors open when cleaning my car (its not loud but freeaking annoying and ruins the music)<P>a few times it saved me from locking the keys in my car.. :)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Shades

Post by Shades »

Check that the light bulbs aren't burnt out... like someone posted earlier... check the fuse.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
sheller

Post by sheller »

All the fuses I've found have been fine. I also replaced the driver's side door switch with a brand new one and it still doesn't work (it doesn't work for the other side either but I thought I'd replace one to see if it made a difference). The interior lights DO work if you use their actual buttons to turn them on. They just don't come on when the doors are opened, neither does the buzzer if you leave your lights on. I also just had an alarm put in and they tested the switches as well and found them to be working fine. <BR>I don't know if this was something that was intentionally disabled or not. Regardless, the wiring diagrams in the Chilton's manual really suck so I'm not sure of where to even look. So if anyone can tell me what wires to look for, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.<BR>Steve
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

Did you check for corrosion on the wire that goes into the car, and on the switch contact?
Matthew Monid

sheller

Post by sheller »

Ok, I did some checking and here's what I came up with. The interior lights themselves are good. I can manually switch them on. I used a tester and found that the wire that should have power when the door is opened, doesn't. So, the light assembly is fine. Also, since the lights come on and the radio works fine, the fuse is good (I also pulled it out and verified that it was fine). I have replaced the drivers side door contact switch and still have the problem. I also used the tester and found that the wire coming into the back of does not have power. All that leads me to believe the problem is not with the door contact switches. I checked all of the harnesses attached to and around the cpu/fuse box...everything is attached securely. <BR>So anyone have an idea of where my problem is at? I think that this is not only causing the interior lights not to come on but no light for the ignition, no buzzer if I leave my lights on or key in the ignition, or having my alarm go off immediately when the door is opened. <BR>Steve

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”